Getting An Upgrade

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
The low number cost per gig is assumed ONLY if you can actually up sell the add on at every gig, or most gigs moving forward.

I don't see DJs typically providing up lighting at 50 gigs every single year. There might just be years where the gig numbers drop significantly as well.

A $10,000 Up Lighting investment might look more like:

Up Lighting add on to an average of 12 event bookings per year over 6 years (Realistically, the lighting will either need to be replaced in 6 years, or the DJ will likely want to upgrade to better lighting in 6 years)

$10,000/72 event add ons over 6 years = $138 per gig cost when the lights are actually used.

Now higher end lighting would hopefully be added on for $500 or more per event so the profit being made is still very nice.

If I were to purchase a $1,500 façade, and could effectively raise my typical DJ booking price by $150 per event in part due to the visual presentation created by setting the façade up at my events, then yes, the expense was worth the investment over time.

If I can't correlate a raise in profits due to the purchase of the façade, then the façade was effectively just a Toy that I purchased for by DJ business which happens to be a Tax Deduction :)
If the facade was part of your image or branding, then it's value is not simply a function of how much you can raise your individual gig price. A $2,000 facade might change your image enough to garner 1-2 additional events . or might bring higher paying customers .. or might set you apart from your competition .. none of which can be directly measured against a price .. but all might impact profit at some point.

It takes a different mentality to look beyond the simple costs ...

The low number cost per gig is assumed ONLY if you can actually up sell the add on at every gig, or most gigs moving forward.

I don't think he is going to use this new facade as an added up sell.

Me thinks it's just going to be part of his normal package on higher end higher paying events.

It will definitely separate him from the others in the areas (cities, counties, states, etc.) where he concentrates his client base.

And he has the chops and skills to back up that beautiful presentation. Sizzle without the steak means very little.

You are all correct it will not be an up sell . It will not be used all the time. It will be used to makes us different in a good way. A great example one of our best venues in our area loves us as an MC/DJ but they love our style and presentation because it mirrors what they also try and do. We are at the top of their vendor list. And she calls me her Bose man. Some of this has to do with skills and abilities and some has to do with presentation. Yes we do like the tax write offs and we try and get about 5000 write off every year if possible. This year was the year of the facade and the new mic systems. Here is that venue

The River Mill - Mobile Website

If clients and or people guest or what ever have never seen you before having no façade or a $2000 one do you really think it makes you more money. YES you need to look professional but I cant see the cost of that façade making me more money.

If clients and or people guest or what ever have never seen you before having no façade or a $2000 one do you really think it makes you more money. YES you need to look professional but I cant see the cost of that façade making me more money.
No different than if a pair of Alto speakers or a Pair of EVOX 8 will make you more money. In the end, one product or the look of the facade or the type of lighting you bring just make you .. YOU .. and only you can determine if it's worth it.

No different than if a pair of Alto speakers or a Pair of EVOX 8 will make you more money. In the end, one product or the look of the facade or the type of lighting you bring just make you .. YOU .. and only you can determine if it's worth it.

I know a DJ who has 4 of these Giant WHITE Industrial Grade fans. He told me he would bring them out whenever he was doing an outdoor event when the temperature was well above 80 degrees. After a short while he became known as "The DJ with the Fans".

He originally brought them out for free, but then he started charging more to bring them. The Dance floor area would have a lot of wind going through it and mixed with loud music, and it created sort of a outdoor club atmosphere plus the dance floor area didn't feel himid, hot, and muggy. It felt cool.

He had a big van so he could haul them. The Fans made him...him!

Personally I don't like the way that facade looks. Yet it is nice. It will definitely get them noticed when they use it. I think that's what their aim is. It certainly is a different look. It's not just about it making them more money but raising the bar. Where have you seen such a facade? I say their thinking nobody in there area has one of these.

yes you are right, do I think my evox 8 will make me more money No I know they wont but doing shows with the ease of light weight and easy transportations of the equipment is priceless

Personally I don't like the way that facade looks. Yet it is nice. It will definitely get them noticed when they use it. I think that's what their aim is. It certainly is a different look. It's not just about it making them more money but raising the bar. Where have you seen such a facade? I say their thinking nobody in there area has one of these.
That's why it isn't YOU. Dave's business is targeted at a different clientele.

I bought a facade, used it once, didn't like it. I still prefer my DJ skirts table topper or no facade at all. The table topper is a little taller than what I would prefer, and the facade is way too high.

facade5.JPG setup with uplights.jpg

I thought Dave's facade choice was a bit too much but I see where he's coming from. Looks are pretty important to the more affluent type clients.

Reactions: DJ Ricky B
It is nice for sure. I just find it funny that some people think that it's supposed to make you more money. What should make you good money is the job you do for your clients. Consistently doing a great job time and time again.

uplighting or monogram can be 'sold' and calculated for ROI.

A facade, like a road case, can''t really be factored like that. Or a mixer - you need one..$120 or $300 or $800?

Or lights...you can spend a little or a lot...can the client tell the difference? Doubtful. But one moonflower set on the floor vs a truss full of things certainly is a different presentation and experience. How does one figure ROI on that? Overall lighting, sure, but will that truss get you more gigs, better wom, etc? And how do you measure that?

So now the cost of the facade (or lights or newer/better speakers, a new suit, etc) is perhaps more attributable to marketing costs.

Last year all the wendy's and burger kings in my county were remodeled, mcdonalds the year before and this year it's the taco bells. The FOOD is no different, their PRICES are no different..so why spend all that money?

Reactions: awdj
Yep this is totally not about making more money. Simply making it beautiful for "OUR" clients. Do we need this? hell no, but it will get us noticed in a good way. Again read my original analogy about wine and packaging. Branding, perception and high quality performance all factor into everything. )

The FOOD is no different, their PRICES are no different..so why spend all that money?
To attract customers. More returning customers = more revenue. I'm sure they have high paid accountants that have future projections all figured out. A new facade for a DJ is more of a guessing game, but the same idea.

Applebees is different from TGI fridays in appearance, different in appearance, experience and price point than fast food.

I agree, you need a 'product' - service, brand if you will, concept, presentation - all that stuff - that is appropriate for your intended market.

You get treated differently at a chevy or ford dealer than you do a BMW or Lexus dealer. If you want to do well in a the 'bmw' market you need to make 'bmw' clients feel comfortable - on the service side of things, logo and colors, website - everything.

If you look and act like mcDonalds/walmart but ask BMW prices you won't get them.

It's way cheaper to get customers to return, to upsell to current customers - they know your product, service, are already 'trained' in what you want them to do (sales process, etc).

Will your facade get more referrals? Make you more memorable to clients/guests? Hard to say. Can't hurt anything but your wallet (and back? LOL) to find out.

I used to get lots of comments (every third or fourth gig) about 'wow, your system sounds great'...when it was 20- year old mackie amps and passive speeakers with a BBE maximizer.

Adding subs, state of the art speakers...and I don't hear it anymore. Why not? What changed?

Was it 'man that guy had old ugly gear but it sounds so good' and now 'state of the art gear is expected to sound like this'..or is there something about a non-class-D amp that makes music sound better?

Reactions: awdj
uplighting or monogram can be 'sold' and calculated for ROI.

A facade, like a road case, can''t really be factored like that. Or a mixer - you need one..$120 or $300 or $800?

Or lights...you can spend a little or a lot...can the client tell the difference? Doubtful. But one moonflower set on the floor vs a truss full of things certainly is a different presentation and experience. How does one figure ROI on that? Overall lighting, sure, but will that truss get you more gigs, better wom, etc? And how do you measure that?

So now the cost of the facade (or lights or newer/better speakers, a new suit, etc) is perhaps more attributable to marketing costs.

Last year all the wendy's and burger kings in my county were remodeled, mcdonalds the year before and this year it's the taco bells. The FOOD is no different, their PRICES are no different..so why spend all that money?
Having such things and how they are presented can justify the reason said DJ can charge $1,500 and get it on a regular basis vs someone without those things getting $500 or less.