How do you generate referrals?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Unless you know they're still married, I'd stay away from the Anniversary Card. Teaming (hooking up is a whole 'nother issue :) ) with other vendors is good .. but you need to be careful with those who only look out for #1. Venue or Planner partnering is probably the best.

Local DJ's can be tough - but if you invest the time, it can also pay off big.
I am noticing that, I will say that the DJ that did my wedding, we hit it off, he came over to my house about a week after to check out my system, and to get the rest of the money we owed him.

Reactions: ittigger
I am noticing that, I will say that the DJ that did my wedding, we hit it off, he came over to my house about a week after to check out my system, and to get the rest of the money we owed him.

If you both approach it as helping each other and not looking for a threatening edge over each other, it can be truly positive. Like any relationship, it takes work and without the proper TLC, it can be good and quickly go bad.

If you both approach it as helping each other and not looking for a threatening edge over each other, it can be truly positive. Like any relationship, it takes work and without the proper TLC, it can be good and quickly go bad.
Of course, I think many see it as a threat instead of something that can benefit both

Reactions: ittigger
I've mentioned it before and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but it's just my opinion that if you're not getting a majority of your business from past client referrals, then you're not as good as you thought.
I will agree with Randy here. Word of mouth from previous clients pays huge dividends when it comes to referrals. Just the other day I was complaining about how my FB page hasn't had any new likes in some time. So, I just shared my business page on my personal page and asked everyone to share it to see if we could reach X number of likes. Before I knew it, I had 75 new likes in just a couple of days.

Like a lot of others here I'm mostly referral. There are some great ideas in this thread. Chuck hit it right on the head use the business cards as much as possible. Keeping in touch with former clients is great too. I do the Facebook thing most former clients are friends on Facebook and a lot of them in real life too

There are a couple of venues locally I get referred from quite often and I return the favour when I can same with a couple of photographers. the more you network the better it is for business

Reactions: ittigger and SEDJ
I have several "groups" that I have done a variety of events for.
Same group of family and friends.
I've become their family DJ...doing everything from weddings to Holiday picnics.

Simply do a great job at every gig.
There are always plenty of potential customers at each event.
Word will get around.

I have been lucky enough to DJ every dance that a local high school has had since 1994. It also helped that I am its my alma mater. I believe it has gotten me a ton of referrals especially as the students graduate and continue to use me for reunions and ultimately wedding receptions.

Of course, I think many see it as a threat instead of something that can benefit both

This is why it takes continuous work, to show that it's not a threat. This will never work with some people. Others it may work for awhile .. and others it may turn into a great thing.

Last edited:
Yes, on the Christmas cards. And, I also give a $50 Visa in a hand-written thank you card as a wedding gift. I only ask for a review, but they are also happy to refer me as their family & friends need a DJ.

The Agency I work with USE TO DO exactly that! They would send previous brides a $50 Gift Card after their wedding with a letter asking them to refer them in the future. I don't know how well it worked, but I know they stopped doing it around 2012. ...And they only did it for the higher paying brides. They brides who booked a $600 DJ with them didn't get that gift card sent to them. The ones who booked at $1,000 or higher DJ did. I think they used that tactic for at least 5 years running before deciding to stop doing it.

I also collaborate with another DJ company. In fact, I did $5,125 worth of gigs from another DJ company last year. They have a few high end venues on the Chesapeake Bay locked up as in they are the primary referred DJ service down there for those few venues. This company has like 6 DJs, and when they book their DJs all on a date, they call me and ask about availability. It's a good relationship. Very Good about mailing me a paycheck right away after the event. They are straight to the point when it comes to details. Pretty good DJ company to work with.

I think it's worth it to collaborate with other DJ businesses. A DJ business that is the primary DJ vendor of a wedding factory type of venue will likely have over flow work and willing to sub contract other DJs.

Reactions: SEDJ
The Agency I work with USE TO DO exactly that! They would send previous brides a $50 Gift Card after their wedding with a letter asking them to refer them in the future. I don't know how well it worked, but I know they stopped doing it around 2012. ...And they only did it for the higher paying brides. They brides who booked a $600 DJ with them didn't get that gift card sent to them. The ones who booked at $1,000 or higher DJ did. I think they used that tactic for at least 5 years running before deciding to stop doing it.
Not to confuse anyone. The card is not given asking for a review. I give the card on their wedding day. The request for a review is typically a couple weeks after the wedding if they haven't reviewed me already.

How many of you hook up with photographers, wedding planners, etc. and set up a rewards system?

I prefer to operate in the mode that they refer me because I make their lives easier due to the fact that I'm a reception coordinator. I keep things running smoothly and keep them in the loop on everything. We show our appreciation for one another by referring one another. If you're only paying for leads, the next guy that comes along and offers them more will win out.

Do you send card for their first anniversary?

Since most are connected via FB, I can see if they are still together. Since I also share some candid photos on my business page (which they love!), I'll re-share those with a congratulations to their timeline. Not only recognizing their day, but giving a bit of a shameless plug for my services as well.

Have any of you cold called on some larger businesses for Christmas parties?

When I did corporate events, I would send a few letters out a couple times a year. Got some work off a few of them. I think mailings to the HR Dept work a bit better, especially if you can include a card or brochure. They'll stash those away for future reference.

Just trying to figure out what is effective. I appreciate all the dialog more than you can know.

I prefer to operate in the mode that they refer me because I make their lives easier due to the fact that I'm a reception coordinator. I keep things running smoothly and keep them in the loop on everything. We show our appreciation for one another by referring one another. If you're only paying for leads, the next guy that comes along and offers them more will win out.

True, but if you're the guy that makes them look good AND you share some of the take with them, they're doubly inclined to throw biz your way.

I think it's worth it to collaborate with other DJ businesses. A DJ business that is the primary DJ vendor of a wedding factory type of venue will likely have over flow work and willing to sub contract other DJs.

I've never done that before so pardon my ignorance. So how do you get paid? Do you split the contract price? Do they pay you a fixed amount each time or by the hour? Since you do the work, do you get a majority of the money or do they? Inquiring minds want to know!

I've never done that before so pardon my ignorance. So how do you get paid? Do you split the contract price? Do they pay you a fixed amount each time or by the hour? Since you do the work, do you get a majority of the money or do they? Inquiring minds want to know!

Usually they contact me to see if I am available. If I say yes, they give me the specifics of the event, and ask how much I would do the gig for. Then either they will say "ok, hold tight" and I will wait for them to tell me the client is booking. Or, they will go "The client's budget is only $1,000...will you do it for $750?" or one time they said "Last year this client paid $850...I can try to charge them $950, will you do it for $750 so we can stand to make something here?" ....I will say yes.

They have been very fair with me.

With the agency it's different. They check the calendar...usually pitch 3 different DJs, OR if the client likes me bio and wants my price, they connect the client and myself. I arrange for a phone call with client. Have a call or Skype meeting with them, then I have the agency get in touch with pricing information. Then wait for the agency to email or call me telling me the client booked. Simple as that. Only like 1 in 15 clients don't book after I talk with them over the phone or over skype.

Sometimes the client get's price info up front...only if they were adamant about getting the price first. I actually like it when that happens cuz I already know the price the agency quoted them. What's great about the agency is they have a legit office with a secretary and multiple agents so if a client actually calls them looking for a DJ the whole process is very professional.

However, sometimes the agency drops the ball with organization, and timely communication with the client. Far from perfect.

Reactions: Jeff Romard