How NOT to advertise for DJ gigs

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I put out a craigslist ad, trying to find more DJs I can add to my roster. Had a response from a chap in Bloomington, Indiana, which is about 4.25 hours away. Thought I'd share this interesting exchange.

Initial response from him
FILL YOUR DATES SUB CONTRACT A AMAZING DJ !!! DJSHAWND.WEBNODE.COM PLEASE CLICK & LOOK @ ALL PICTURES/BLOGS/ VIDEOS. WE OFFER PACKAGE DEALS AND NO DANCE IS TO NEAR OR FAR. A GREAT TIME HAD BY EVERYONE!!! DATES GO FAST!!! YOUR CHECK IN FULL HOLDS YOUR DATE. HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON !!! IF YOU CANNOT FIND A DJ WE CAN OFFER YOU DJ /PHOTO COMBO PACKAGE BUT THERE’S IS A FEE.
Shawn D. Adams
Amazing Music DJ, Photography & Video
P.O. Box 2183
Bloomington, IN 47402
812.332.9128U HIRE THE PROFESSIONALS PAYMENT IN FULL UPFRONT* SMALL FEE IS ADDED WHEN PAYING WITH CREDIT CARD PLUS PER NIGHT PLUS TIPS AND OVERTIME DJ ONLY PER EVENT * SMALL FEE ADDED WHEN PAYING WITH A CREDIT ONLY INCLUDES ALL TRAVEL

My reply
Subject: Re: DJs needed

Shawn, thanks for your response. I'm wondering though, our events are mostly in the middle TN area. Aren't they a bit far from your location? If not, what is your typical rate on weddings? Incidentally, our business is 90% wedding-related. Thanks in advance for your response. Have a great day.

His reply
ARE YOU READY FOR REPEAT BUSINESS AND MORE MONEY ??? HELLO AND THANK YOU FOR CONTACTING ME !!! WE TRAVEL ALL OVER USA WITH OVER 30 YRS. EXP. I ASSURE YOU TENNESSEE IS NO PROBLEM FOR US.... WE PLAY EVERYTHING AND LOVE WHAT WE DO !!! WHAT WE REQUIRE IS PAYMENT IN FULL UP FRONT WITH A SIGN CONTRACT TO SECURE YOUR DATE FOR THE WEDDING AND OR EVENTS YOUR PLANNING .FYI- WE DO NOT TRAVEL ANYWHERE WITHOUT A SIGNED CONTRACT AND FULL PAYMENT IT HOLD THE DATE FOR YOU.( WHEN PAYING WITH CREDIT CARD ADD 5% TO THE TOTAL FOR PROCESSING) THE PRICE GIVEN WOULD INCLUDE ALL TRAVEL TIME AND HOTEL. WE WOULD ARRIVE IN TENNESSEE A DAY BEFORE THE EVENT. WE ALLOW OURSELVES AN HOUR FOR SETUP AND AN HOUR FOR TEAR DOWN,THAT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE TOO. IF YOU WERE TO SUB CONTRACT ME YOU CAN ADD YOUR FEE ON TOP OF WHAT WE REQUIRE. THE PRICE FOR DJ ONLY STARTS @ $999.00 FOR 4HRS PLUS ALL OVERTIME & TIPS. WE OFFER PACKAGES AND ADD ON TOO. THE PRICE COULD BE MORE FOR CLIENT DEPENDING ON WHAT THE CLIENT IS ASKING FOR. YOUR CLIENTELE WILL HAVE A AMAZING TIME WITH DJ SHAWN "D" AND AMAZING MUSIC!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME SENDING BLESSINGS YOUR WAY!!!

I guess his capslock key must be stuck or something................

Well, it is a lot less than $1000!

It is a real shame what has been allowed to happen to Craigslist. Florida's "Treasure Coast" is our local CL. It's full of Pawn shops selling stuff at ridiculous prices, scammers, people thinking their used stuff is gold, etc..

I frequently see things I can get shipped directly to my house, new with a warranty, for less than what's posted there. I used to fire back emails, but there is now so much of it I've given up.

Reactions: Dan The Man
I used to sell stuff and buy stuff on Craigslist. But it seems like the scams just got way out of hand. So I stopped.

Holy spider senses tingling Batman! You pay this cupcake in full (sight unseen) and you may as well say goodbye to the bucks! Notice how his reply vaguely answers your query with a bunch of form mumbo jumbo. Either he is functionally illiterate or a very very poor scam artist! Run, don't walk away from this one :laugh:

Last edited:
Holy spider senses tingling Batman! You pay this cupcake in full (sight unseen) and you may as well say goodbye to the bucks! Notice how his reply vaguely answers your query with a bunch of form mumbo jumbo. Either he is functionally illiterate or a very very poor scam artist! Run, don't walk away from this one :laugh:

Wouldn't it be more fun to have him drive to Nashville for an interview first?

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
Geeze Rick it solves all your problems...Pay the guy a grand plus travel up front and he takes care of business for you...What could possibly go wrong there ;)

Reactions: Ausumm
I don't think you need a lot of tempting, Ive got a slow day ahead of me, supervising some workers at the rink, I'd sure like to be enetertained

My main problem, I don't think I could actually pull off an in-person interview without busting a gut, laughing, and likely getting myself stabbed in the process.

Reactions: ittigger
Look where you advertised looking for more DJs to work for you craigslist. What were you expecting to find? High class quality DJs? You were looking on Craigslist so any thinking DJ would know you're not looking for a DJ that wants to get paid 1k to come and at a wedding you booked.

You were hoping to find a quality DJ for a cheap price and look what you got. Tisk Tisk shame on you. Not really. Shame on the sucker you find that's desperate for work.

Look where you advertised looking for more DJs to work for you craigslist. What were you expecting to find? High class quality DJs? You were looking on Craigslist so any thinking DJ would know you're not looking for a DJ that wants to get paid 1k to come and at a wedding you booked.

You were hoping to find a quality DJ for a cheap price and look what you got. Tisk Tisk shame on you. Not really. Shame on the sucker you find that's desperate for work.
Mix there is an employment section on Craigslist, many large companies post ads there looking for help, I have done it and ended up interviewing several well qualified applicants

Reactions: Ausumm