I just saw a crazy ad on CL.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I know I'm going to get beat up for me of all people making this thread. People will say here to stay off of CL. I'm making this thread after 2am. I just can't sleep. So I was surfing the web. I came across a ridiculous ad on CL. The ad said they need a sound sytem in a park on August 6th from 3-7pm. The person is supposed to bring some speakers and subs to this park. They already have a DJ. They don't mention a thing about the type of event it is. Only thing the ad said is there is no pay if you help out with this event.

Are they serious?! So you want someone to provide a sound system in a park that a DJ can hookup to and not get paid. That's crazy. For more than one reason besides the obvious no pay thing. It doesn't say the type of event it is to be. Do they have the proper permits to do this event in that park. One thing that is mandatory is a sound permit if you're to be in a park with a DJ. If you don't the person hosting the event can get fined and they can also confiscate the DJs gear. That means your stuff as well as this other DJs stuff can be confiscated by the police.

Then again why doesn't the DJ have the gear needed to do the job and why would the person hosting the event even book a DJ who can't get the job done right from the start? Then the other thing is why would I help out a DJ I don't know risking damage to my gear and more than likely nobody willing to take responsibility for any damages done to my gear. I made the mistake once by trying to help out a new DJ just getting started. My sub got damaged at this block party that I had to replace the woofer. I vowed to never do that again.

Now I did send an email just to have some fun. I know they won't consider my offer of having me DJ the event for them since I am a DJ and have all the stuff needed to get the job done right. No I wasn't serious when I sent that email. Not interested but if they do respond back I will ask a few questions just to have more fun with them and possibly avoid them running into a disaster. Like having to have to pay a fine. I did a nice favor for my best friend and his wife in the park one year. They rented the generator and I played in the park for them. The first cop who showed up was very nice and didn't give her a ticket. He basically saw we weren't a rowdy bunch and moved on. This other cop just wanted to be a hard ass and give her a ticket since her name was on the permit. She had to go to court and pay a $150 fine I think.

Now come with your best insults and not so funny jokes please. If they are funny jokes I will let you know for sure.

One thing I don't get is calling yourself a DJ and not having the gear to do the job with after agreeing to do the job. If I needed the gear to get a job done I have friends I can call up and get them to help me out the day of if I needed to. Happy to say I have the gear to get the job done. That's if the crowd isn't 3,000 people. I just don't understand that concept. We're not talking a famous celebrity DJ getting paid 10-20k to DJ an event. At that rate they can afford to rent some gear to do the job. In such cases the person hosting the event will already have the proper gear in place for the celebrity to use.

Just too many things undisclosed to agree to help out with such a gig even if they did have money to pay to make it worth you considering to help out.

I know I'm going to get beat up for me of all people making this thread. People will say here to stay off of CL. I'm making this thread after 2am. I just can't sleep. So I was surfing the web. I came across a ridiculous ad on CL. The ad said they need a sound sytem in a park on August 6th from 3-7pm. The person is supposed to bring some speakers and subs to this park. They already have a DJ. They don't mention a thing about the type of event it is. Only thing the ad said is there is no pay if you help out with this event.

Are they serious?! So you want someone to provide a sound system in a park that a DJ can hookup to and not get paid. That's crazy. For more than one reason besides the obvious no pay thing.

Weren't you going to do this exact thing for some dj in a park for free ... yet here you are criticizing this 'customer'?

See Post #1. Sound similar?
I just got a phone call that was very funny to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ausumm and steve149
Weren't you going to do this exact thing for some dj in a park for free ... yet here you are criticizing this 'customer'?

See Post #1. Sound similar?
I just got a phone call that was very funny to me.
Again I never said such a thing. I didn't agree to a thing. anyhow as it stands right now he's on his own. besides I don't know anything about the person posting the ad or who the DJ is. I don't know if this DJ knows what he's doing. At least with my ex partner I know he knows his stuff for sure.

Mix there are a ton of DJ's who don't own P.A gear, it's fairly common, most club jocks just have their laptop and controllers, maybe the Dj offered to play for free if they could get him some P.A. gear, never hurts to ask does it, I see posts on the internet all the time from people who claim to be DJ's but can't play certain genres of "tack head" music or have to have help at every gig setting up, I see those as more of an issue than not owning speakers

Mix there are a ton of DJ's who don't own P.A gear, it's fairly common, most club jocks just have their laptop and controllers, maybe the Dj offered to play for free if they could get him some P.A. gear, never hurts to ask does it, I see posts on the internet all the time from people who claim to be DJ's but can't play certain genres of "tack head" music or have to have help at every gig setting up, I see those as more of an issue than not owning speakers
I got the part about a club DJ showing up with just a controller and laptop to DJ in a club. At a private event if someone were to agree to DJ that event I would expect that so called DJ have gear to do the event with. If not to me they aren't a DJ. As for the comment about me and I know it's me about the type of music I play. I don't do tack head events. Someone else can do those. What I mean by that are events where they expect the DJ to play questionable songs. Such events are the ones where they will expect the DJ at some point to play songs for them with either the N word, B word or MF for example. Now if you don't they won't be happy with you being their DJ.

They can be a bunch of kids around and I mean real little ones and they will allow the DJ to play such songs and think there is nothing wrong with that. I don't like supporting such people making that garbage music. Personally it says to me it's OK if one black person calls another black the N word. I see such things regularly and I don't agree with that. These so called artist degrade women, talk about making a ton of money selling drugs and smoking mad weed. Even if they say it in a way to disguise it. The people listening to it know what they really meant to say.

As for the equipment thing, certain events require me to have more than just myself help with moving the gear to be used for said event. Actually the guy that normally helps me out hates for me to help him move a thing most times. I guess he likes to show off. He's 25 and I keep telling him to let me help too as hopefully one day he will get to be 50+ and will feel it later on down the line. I tell him he doesn't have to look to impress me. I'm not wearing panties. LOL.

Lastly I have a friend that is older than me and still DJing. He's a great DJ! He also is not the DJ that you would look to play a bunch of the newer music of today. I'm talking today's hip hop and r & b. Yet he's busy on a regular bases. He picks and chooses what he will and will not do. Sometimes he will get my friend that helps me to help him out when it's an event that he is not really familiar with the tack head music they want. One thing he's great at thou is to make sure the event will be a safe one in a safe location where the thugs won't be there at that event. They will be somewhere else making a mess of things.

There could be a lot of reasons a DJ doesn't have the equipment he needs for an event. Perhaps he rarely does events requiring that type of equipment. I do believe it's often smarter to rent equipment you rarely need than to buy it and let it collect dust. Maybe he works at a bar that has their own stuff.

Because CL Is free, you'll see people post just about anything. The crazy only comes in when someone actually does it.

Reactions: ittigger
:). You posted this as I was writing it.

Reactions: ittigger
There could be a lot of reasons a DJ doesn't have the equipment he needs for an event. Perhaps he rarely does events requiring that type of equipment. I do believe it's often smarter to rent equipment you rarely need than to buy it and let it collect dust. Maybe he works at a bar that has their own stuff.

Because CL Is free, you'll see people post just about anything. The crazy only comes in when someone actually does it.
Your suggestion about renting the gear needed if they don't have it is spot on. So why isn't the DJ looking into renting the gear needed to do the job and not someone else placing an ad on Craigslist looking for someone with the gear to provide it for free? My guess is the gig isn't paying the DJ enough money to justify the renting of the gear if they are getting paid at all.

Your suggestion about renting the gear needed if they don't have it is spot on. So why isn't the DJ looking into renting the gear needed to do the job and not someone else placing an ad on Craigslist looking for someone with the gear to provide it for free? My guess is the gig isn't paying the DJ enough money to justify the renting of the gear if they are getting paid at all.
Simple, out of the kindness of his heart he volunteered to DJ this gig for free, if THEY could find him some equipment to use, They simple put up a post on craiglist asking for a donation of a sound system, If you take a minute to think about it, it isn't that strange of a request, you post weirder stuff that you do on this forum on a weekly if not daily basis

Reactions: ittigger and SEDJ
Simple, out of the kindness of his heart he volunteered to DJ this gig for free, if THEY could find him some equipment to use, They simple put up a post on craiglist asking for a donation of a sound system, If you take a minute to think about it, it isn't that strange of a request, you post weirder stuff that you do on this forum on a weekly if not daily basis
Sorry it is to me since I don't know any of these people. I sent an email and was asked how much for the rental of my sound system. I replied back just now to mess with them. I told them for the 4 hours $400. I know they won't pay that since they weren't looking to pay anything to begin with. The question comes up what if something gets damaged? Who would be responsible for such damages? I doubt anybody there would want to be responsible since they were looking to get a freebie for the gear in the first place.

The reason why I mention this si because a DJ that doesn't know what they are doing will look to push the system beyond it's limitations looking to impress the crowd and possibly causing damage to some speakers. Basically having all the gains hitting red and it sounding distorted instead of how it should sound which is good and clear. Then also I don't know if this DJ has a big ego and won't listen to anything you have to say even though it's your gear and not theirs. If I helped with the gig I would set the levels and inform the DJ to not mess with any of the levels. They could push their slides all the way up if they like but I wouldn't let them push the volume on their controller to the limit. I would have it set so it's at a safety point that I wouldn't worry about any damage to the speakers. If they disagreed with me then I would pack up and leave.

One of my guys here is ranked as the #1 club DJ in the state. He has his turntables and everything he needs for DJ'ing set-up except a PA. He doesn't travel with his own PA system. He always either arranges with us to provide sound or the customer provides the sound. This is a fairly common practice for Club Dj's. It doesn't reflect on their skill level at all because this DJ is a pro all the way

Reactions: ittigger and SEDJ
Sorry it is to me since I don't know any of these people. I sent an email and was asked how much for the rental of my sound system. I replied back just now to mess with them. I told them for the 4 hours $400. I know they won't pay that since they weren't looking to pay anything to begin with. The question comes up what if something gets damaged? Who would be responsible for such damages? I doubt anybody there would want to be responsible since they were looking to get a freebie for the gear in the first place.

The reason why I mention this si because a DJ that doesn't know what they are doing will look to push the system beyond it's limitations looking to impress the crowd and possibly causing damage to some speakers. Basically having all the gains hitting red and it sounding distorted instead of how it should sound which is good and clear. Then also I don't know if this DJ has a big ego and won't listen to anything you have to say even though it's your gear and not theirs. If I helped with the gig I would set the levels and inform the DJ to not mess with any of the levels. They could push their slides all the way up if they like but I wouldn't let them push the volume on their controller to the limit. I would have it set so it's at a safety point that I wouldn't worry about any damage to the speakers. If they disagreed with me then I would pack up and leave.
this why you run it like front of house sound, he plugs into your system you have control of the master volume, EQ, compressors, Limiters, so on and so forth no matter how loud he tries to play he is limited to the sound techs decisions. This stuff is simple mix, you just don't have the right experience level and knowledge to know how to facilitate it, Honest truth is he could rent some powered speakers from Guitar Center for a $100 and they would probably be happy with it, and they wouldn't have to deal with your added drama

$400 is more than you get when you DJ .. Are you making a statement that it costs more to NOT have you?

Again I never said such a thing. I didn't agree to a thing. anyhow as it stands right now he's on his own. besides I don't know anything about the person posting the ad or who the DJ is. I don't know if this DJ knows what he's doing. At least with my ex partner I know he knows his stuff for sure.

Yes, you did say such a thing. It's your frickin' thread - Post #1. I even posted the link (here's the link again). Unless you have a hacked account and there is someone masquerading as you on here, then you're the only one using your login credentials.

Post #1 .. from that very thread (that you started):

Guy calls me up that has an annual fund raiser in Branch Brook Park. It's going to be August 27th. He was looking for me to see about helping out my ex partner. He doesn't like the gear he has to do the event. He was using just a pair of Mackie Thumps and no sub. So he wanted to talk to me about helping my ex partner with a better setup. He thought we were cool like that and we're not.

I was there last year and offered as a piece treaty to go and get a couple of my big subs to help him out. He lied and told me someone else was supplying the subs. It's a DJ that we know all too well. I was willing to help out and not looking to make any money.

The thing is he has them under contract for 2 years. So he got them to do it this year as well. As most of you know I have stuff that would really do it up in that park. I don't talk to my ex partner. I could have my friend that works with me now talk to him since they are semi related. Meaning they grew up in the same projects.

I would just want it to sound right. I don't care about playing at all or getting paid. I would just want things to sound right. The money is really just a charity thing anyway. Not a lot of money to begin with. So basically it's about doing a nice favor for a good cause. So unless my friend can talk him into it they are on their own again and it will sound the way it does. Not my issue if he still wants to hold on to the past. This would be just a one time deal. We wouldn't get back together. I don't wish anything bad for him or his GF. I wish them the best.

Maybe he will get us to do it next year God willing.

Items in red. You were willing to supply speakers to another DJ .. for free. Same, same.

this why you run it like front of house sound, he plugs into your system you have control of the master volume, EQ, compressors, Limiters, so on and so forth no matter how loud he tries to play he is limited to the sound techs decisions. This stuff is simple mix, you just don't have the right experience level and knowledge to know how to facilitate it,

Or the gear....

What does it matter, considering you were willing to offer yours for free?

this why you run it like front of house sound, he plugs into your system you have control of the master volume, EQ, compressors, Limiters, so on and so forth no matter how loud he tries to play he is limited to the sound techs decisions. This stuff is simple mix, you just don't have the right experience level and knowledge to know how to facilitate it, Honest truth is he could rent some powered speakers from Guitar Center for a $100 and they would probably be happy with it, and they wouldn't have to deal with your added drama
What added drama? You miss my point. When is the last time you had a client looking to get you a system to plug your stuff into? I never have in all my years as a DJ. I cover such things myself. That's not a clients issue, it's mines when they book me to do an event. I don't care if I'm getting paid or I'm doing a freebie.

Then again why would I look for a client to do that for me? Will they know what is needed to get the job done right so it sounds the way it's supposed to. The person posting the ad said specifically they were looking for someone that has both a pair tops and subs. No mention of the person providing the gear just bringing a pair of power speakers and that's it.

Lastly itigger I don't have a big ego because I don't ever forget how I lost the business years ago in the first place and how God has blessed me to come back to the business I love. You ask how he blessed me? God blessed me to still be alive and that's after praying for him to let me die.