MP3 Sound Quality

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I hear ya! [emoji4] At least now, if I automatically acquire the MP3 tags, I compare them to the list on the CD's insert. Can't do much about the ones that are wrong when you download an album, though. And sometimes I don't even listen to the whole album, so I may never know if there's a mislabeled song unless someone requests it. I listen to every song I put on a playlist, so at least I know those I plan to play are correct.

I'm anal about the spelling as well, and I often had to fix it .. so it was just easier for me to key it all myself. Every word in a song title starts with a capital letter - CDDB still gets this wrong, as does iTunes, Amazon and others. Example: Mary Had a Little Lamb .. that little 'a' has to be fixed.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I'm anal about the spelling as well, and I often had to fix it .. so it was just easier for me to key it all myself.
Yep... and sometimes you even have to fix the artist's name. Makes me CRAZY when they sometimes put "The" on the front and sometimes they don't. Or they put "&" sometimes, but also use "and" for the same artist, making it appear to be two different groups. I like them to be uniform! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
Yep... and sometimes you even have to fix the artist's name. Makes me CRAZY when they sometimes put "The" on the front and sometimes they don't. Or they put "&" sometimes, but also use "and" for the same artist, making it appear to be two different groups. I like them to be uniform! [emoji3]

One of my favorite tools .. fixes many of those naming issues ... KJ File Manager - Karaoke File Management Made Easy

I personally don't care how they are listed. As long as I can find them. I sort my songs by number of plays, so if type in Beatles , and something is under "the beatles", it doesn't matter, the songs I use the most will be up top.

Things I may do is add group names or individual names that technically don't belong. I may add Michael Jackson 's name to ABC even though it was the Jackson 5

I added black Eyed peas and Blackeyed Peas to fergie and will.i.am solo stuff.

Where are you??? Aren't you supposed to be on plane and flying somewhere??? [emoji3]

They cancelled my flight yesterday .. rebooked to today .. leaving at 7pm out of Newark, so will be heading out in an hour or 2. Going to be a short trip .. arrive Tue morning .. leave Fri morning.

I personally don't care how they are listed. As long as I can find them. I sort my songs by number of plays, so if type in Beatles , and something is under "the beatles", it doesn't matter, the songs I use the most will be up top.

Things I may do is add group names or individual names that technically don't belong. I may add Michael Jackson 's name to ABC even though it was the Jackson 5

I hear you and respect doing what works for you. I remove the leading 'The' from all of mine. Like Bobcat said, sometimes they use '&' while other times they use 'and' .. so I try to fix that too. As with all other things, it's all about what works for YOU and what you are happy with. :)

Totally g
I hear you and respect doing what works for you. I remove the leading 'The' from all of mine. Like Bobcat said, sometimes they use '&' while other times they use 'and' .. so I try to fix that too. As with all other things, it's all about what works for YOU and what you are happy with. :)
Totally agree. Whatever works for each person to make it easier for them

... Things I may do is add group names or individual names that technically don't belong. I may add Michael Jackson 's name to ABC even though it was the Jackson 5

There's an "Artist" tag, and there's a "Featured Artist" tag in MP3's. When you buy a track, they sometimes put the same text in both, but most of the time the Featured Artist is blank. If the main artist has a guest soloist, or is doing a duet, I put the main artist in the Album Artist tag, and the guest in the Featured Artist tag (like Album Artist: Santana, Featured Artist: Rob Thomas). You could do the same by putting Michael Jackson in the Featured Artist tag where Jackson 5 is the Album Artist.
This is only useful if your library software allows you to search or sort by any tag. [emoji4]

All my tagging is done with Tag & Rename where I add what I need to be known of each file. Yes it takes time but it's worth it.

There's an "Artist" tag, and there's a "Featured Artist" tag in MP3's. When you buy a track, they sometimes put the same text in both, but most of the time the Featured Artist is blank. If the main artist has a guest soloist, or is doing a duet, I put the main artist in the Album Artist tag, and the guest in the Featured Artist tag (like Album Artist: Santana, Featured Artist: Rob Thomas). You could do the same by putting Michael Jackson in the Featured Artist tag where Jackson 5 is the Album Artist.
This is only useful if your library software allows you to search or sort by any tag.

For me, the only tag fields I really care about are Track, Title and Artist. Track really isn't important but it does help keep an order outside of the DB. These specific fields are in the database and also repeated in the filename (in the event I have to locate something and have no access to the tags).

Last edited:
For me, the only tag fields I really care about are Track, Title and Artist. Track really isn't important but it does help keep an order outside of the DB, These fields are in the database and also repeated in the filename (in the event I have to locate something and have no access to the tags).
So can you give me an example of what the name of your MP3 files might look like? It seems to me that Track is not very useful unless Album Title is included. I just use "Artist - Title".

This is only useful if your library software allows you to search or sort by any tag. [emoji4]

I use ots. Does basically same thing. Just go to a new line in the artist field and add new Artist. But when I do this, I'm editing the database, not the file itself.

So can you give me an example of what the name of your MP3 files might look like? It seems to me that Track is not very useful unless Album Title is included. I just use "Artist - Title".

Sure, my file structure looks like the following:

'Music' is my root folder for the library.

D:\Music\Genre\Album\Volume\Track-Title-Artist.mp3

Example:
D:\Music\Country\Paisley, Brad\Play\03-Start A Band-Brad Paisley featuring Keith Urban.mp3
D:\Music\Rock\Adams, Bryan\Reckless\06-Summer Of '69-Bryan Adams.mp3

I started ripping back in the 90's and I did have a few CD's go bad. In the event I needed to, I wanted to be able to rebuild the CD without too much work. I also had (and still do) many tracks memorized - so by simply looking at the album name and the track number, I knew which song it was. So I kept the track as an integral part of the filename. In my example, the 'tag' fields are Album Title, Track, Song Title and Artist. A 'featured' Artist gets added to the Artist field and is listed in the filename as well.

Last edited:
Sure, my file structure looks like the following:

'Music' is my root folder for the library.

D:\Music\Genre\Album\Volume\Track-Title-Artist.mp3

Example:
D:\Music\Country\Paisley, Brad\Play\03-Start A Band-Brad Paisley featuring Keith Urban.mp3
D:\Music\Rock\Adams, Bryan\Reckless\06-Summer Of '69-Bryan Adams.mp3

I started ripping back in the 90's and I did have a few CD's go bad. In the event I needed to, I wanted to be able to rebuild the CD without too much work. I also had (and still do) many tracks memorized - so by simply looking at the album name and the track number, I knew which song it was. So I kept the track as an integral part of the filename. In my example, the 'tag' fields are Album Title, Track, Song Title and Artist. A 'featured' Artist gets added to the Artist field and is listed in the filename as well.
It's interesting the way different DJ's have very different ways of doing things. I can understand your method, and I use a similar Artist\Album Title\ directory structure; I just use a different file naming convention, and I don't use the genre in the structure at all. I depend more on the database for genre and track order. When I find a track in my library DB, I right click and choose "Open File Location", and it takes me to my track. Then I drag it into Traktor.

It's interesting the way different DJ's have very different ways of doing things. I can understand your method, and I use a similar Artist\Album Title\ directory structure; I just use a different file naming convention, and I don't use the genre in the structure at all. I depend more on the database for genre and track order. When I find a track in my library DB, I right click and choose "Open File Location", and it takes me to my track. Then I drag it into Traktor.

I agree, it is interesting how we all do it.

Way back when, I separated by Genre to make it easier on the computer and to make it easier on myself. The more stuff you add to a given folder, the more time it takes to process that view. Find a folder with 10 items in it and see how long it takes to load. Now open a folder with 1000 items in it. See a difference? Personally, if I am looking for a Country artist /song, I know it'll be in the Country folder - so most of the time, its easier to locate things. Keep in mind, I was organizing way before iTunes and other software packages with internal DB's came along. I saw no need to reinvent a wheel I was already using. For me, it was important to be able to locate something outside of the DB as well as inside of one - and to do it the same way.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ TJ
Yep... and sometimes you even have to fix the artist's name. Makes me CRAZY when they sometimes put "The" on the front and sometimes they don't. Or they put "&" sometimes, but also use "and" for the same artist, making it appear to be two different groups. I like them to be uniform!

Oh my OCD brethren...preach! I always replace a & with "And" and always eliminate "The" from the artist name. So for me, it's Eagles, Cars and Rolling Stones.

Yes, "The" gets exterminated :D :D :D

I agree, it is interesting how we all do it.

Way back when, I separated by Genre to make it easier on the computer and to make it easier on myself. The more stuff you add to a given folder, the more time it takes to process that view. Find a folder with 10 items in it and see how long it takes to load. Now open a folder with 1000 items in it. See a difference? Personally, if I am looking for a Country artist /song, I know it'll be in the Country folder - so most of the time, its easier to locate things. Keep in mind, I was organizing way before iTunes and other software packages with internal DB's came along. I saw no need to reinvent a wheel I was already using. For me, it was important to be able to locate something outside of the DB as well as inside of one - and to do it the same way.
The thing about separating by genre is I have albums where the artist performs songs of more than one genre. For instance, several artists attempt to do hip-hop tracks while doing mostly R&B tracks on the same album.