Ouch, rates again

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I charge well over $1000 and I show up and play music with 4 wash lights, it has very little to do with gear, people hire me not my equipment
I wasn't talking gear alone. That's part of it. I say I need great quality gear to work with. That helps my show to be a good performance. Obviously the gear itself can't do the job for you. You have to do it yourself. I get peace of mind using high quality professional gear. Some just have a great style to them that people like and so on.

I wasn't talking gear alone. That's part of it. I say I need great quality gear to work with. That helps my show to be a good performance. Obviously the gear itself can't do the job for you. You have to do it yourself. I get peace of mind using high quality professional gear. Some just have a great style to them that people like and so on.
that must be why you having a hard time making more money

There is a photog business 'guru' that says raise your price 10% every july 1 and january 1. He never says to stop..at some point you'll price yourself out of the market.

What I was taught, and it seemed to work well, with wedding photography was the closing rate at meeting - ideal is 80%. If you close 90% raise your prices, if 60% then figure out why - could be price, your sales presentation, etc.

It's a bit tougher to judge now as consumers have a lot more info available and most of my DJ bookings are never FtF - email mostly, some phone calls.

Is what you're doing and the price you charge working for you? Could you get more? If you went up on your price how much more could you go up without hurting your business? Some just say automatically you should raise your rates without even knowing what that DJs rate is to begin with. Then we don't know each other's circumstances. Then the other factor comes into play here. What are you offering clients now and what else could you add if you wanted to that would get clients to spend more money or at least consider it?

And how do they do that?

Pittsburgh Disc Jockeys Best Wedding DJs in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Wedding DJ - Magic Moments DJ Service
Chuck Webb Professional DJ and Entertainment Services
http://djdonnaandtonyd.webs.com/
DJ TOMMY D - Home

I know the pricing -if not exact than close - on what they all charge. All are full time or close to it, all have been around a while, all are good.
None have pricing on their website...I do. For better or worse. I feel today's consumer demands it more than ever before - they expect it. I know I do.
My site is also designed to be more mobile friendly -for google ranking. Some of these sites are nice but they don't come in up in searches.

Only three 'real' dj websites come up in google for 'wedding dj beaver pa' and I don't know any of them...
Wedding Photography, DJ, and Video Services | The Pros Weddings - they have pricing
DJ Eric Blackwell - the landing page from google search is different..'starting at 399 for 4 hours' is listed on it
Elite Signature DJs - again, pricing on the main page (595 4 hours) - and you can get 495 for select dates!

Of the top list two charge over $1k. the rest are more like the 3 above (and me).

I' haven't read thru all the comments, but this one certainly sticks out to me. I think you're incorrect. I can easily pick out a $300 DJ from a $1000. And, I think any of my target audience clients who inquiry my services can as well.

Music only here is $300. Wedding with music and lights? 450-600. 5 hours.
I can have you 10 DJs for that price range - most full time with 20+ years experience.

remember my market is not your market - the top hall here is $45/plate for a wedding. Some are half that. A beer in a bar is $2.75 -or less. And that's not the happy hour/football game price. You can buy a 3 br house w/ garage in an average area for under $100k, in a top school district for under 200k. A brand new 4 br house for under 300k.

Here's one of the reasons why some of you can charge 1k or more. There are those out there that only play music. They just show up with some speakers and a little other gear and just play music. Nothing more than that. Some of you go way beyond that and that is why you can on average get paid more than the DJ just coming in and just playing music.