Todays inquiry

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Personally I couldn't see myself taking out a loan for a wedding. Anybody can do what they want. I can see taking a loan out for a car or a house if I can afford it. The big thing for me is not putting myself to far in the hole. I know I'm going to take a beating for the van I bought. I just got tired of the last one I had that kept breaking down. If it didn't keep giving me problems I would have kept it. I just didn't see it worth me putting any more money into it. It was old. A 2002. Time to let go of the old and on to something newer that so far my biggest expense has been me having to buy new tires.

I would think when they said wedding loan they meant the entire wedding including the reception as well. Good luck to anyone that does it. Just hope it doesn't land the couple in divorce court.
Mix, You have a hard time thinking of things that actually happen outside of your little "hood" area, I have done weddings that I can only assume cost at least $100,000 there are lakefront venues in Milwaukee that rent for $10,000 plus and meals at $100 a plate for 300 people, plus everything else associated with the event is high end. there is a world outside of the Legion hall venues and charging for admittance to your own birthday party

I don't get many of those kinds of weddings but have been to a few - one venue about 90 minutes away has a saturday nigh min of $24,000 (well, 4 years ago..may be up since then). that's food/booze and the hall. Addin tux, dress, flowers, cake, details, etc and you're over 30k no problem.

My wife's bestie from college had her reception at The Congressional. Home - Congressional Country Club about 20 years ago now. It's the CC that Bush belongs to...dinner was your hoice of filet minon or lobster. Beer was Heineken. Brides dad has some job with CIA. Dad has a minivan to go to the movies in - and nothing else. the rich don't live liek the rest of us.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Can you define too 'far in the hole' .. because you paid more than the asking price for your van.
I don't remember the whole thread but I would guess the total he game for the van was including taxes and all the extra's the dealer talked him into warranty, gap, credit life disability, fabric protection, undercoating so on and so forth

My wife's bestie from college had her reception at The Congressional. Home - Congressional Country Club about 20 years ago now. It's the CC that Bush belongs to...dinner was your hoice of filet minon or lobster. Beer was Heineken. Brides dad has some job with CIA. Dad has a minivan to go to the movies in - and nothing else. the rich don't live liek the rest of us.

CCC is a VERY nice place. You have to be invited to be a member .. and as I understand, you have to be a member in order to use the facility. Members monthly dues are some ridiculous amount and if you happen to lose your membership, you're not coming back.

I don't remember the whole thread but I would guess the total he game for the van was including taxes and all the extra's the dealer talked him into warranty, gap, credit life disability, fabric protection, undercoating so on and so forth

Undercoating? This was a used van. They were asking like 15, he paid 22. That's alot more than 'extra's'.

Undercoating? This was a used van. They were asking like 15, he paid 22. That's alot more than 'extra's'.
Trust me I used to work in the F&I office of a dealership the things I offered were
Warranty as much as $3000
GAP $700
Protection package consisted of Paint sealant, under coating and scotch guard $999
Credit life disability priced at a percentage of the purchase price
Tire and wheel protection $599
anti theft etching $599
there was a lot more it wasn't hard to add $5000 to $7000 to the price of the vehicle

Tax alone would have been over $1000
People are gullible they tend to buy on the payment they can afford and cars are sold that way so what are you you comfortable at payment wise ???? $400, up to and if you had too stretch a little. great news we can get you into that car today at a payment you can afford have a seat with Jerry our Finance manager he will go over everything with you, then Jerry does a lot of talking and not a lot of explaining sign here sign here and bam you own that car for $500 a month for the for the next 84 months. obviously some people don't fall for it but it is how about 50% of the deals go down

One reason I tell any sales agent to make sure NONE of those items are discussed when I get sent to the manager. I walked out on one dealer when I was about to sign the documents and they brought up protection plans, etching, etc.

FOr the finance guy to keep his job he has to have a given percentage of sales of these things, plus he's paid on commission and he likes to eat and have a roof over his head.
it's annoying, but it's his job.

that's changing today with the internet. And I avoid it by hitting up my credit union for a check - "i don't need any financing" and you have more control. When I bought my subaru that got me 1.2% interest rate instead of 2.4% from my credit union, and no add ons.

I have in the past used the extended warranty - to my benefit.

What i'm annoyed with now I got ziebart on our chevy truck (all trucks seem to rust out too fast) and find out a year later that you need to do the 'annual maintenance'...$50. fine. 3 years of that and 'oh, sorry, we made a mistake, it's a truck so it' $79/year'..so it's doubled the cost of ziebart then nearly doubled the annual cost.

so after 10ish years that's 1100ish more spent..but if we can keep the truck a year longer or have a rust free one for trade in/ sale it may be worth it. Unfortunately we're racking up more miles than planned...19k a year..so it may end up a moot point value wise.

All insurance is a gamble..I've paid car insurance for 35 years and had 3 claims. Paid homeowners for 22 and had 1 claim. Paid biz insurance for 12 and never had a claim. I've paid more in premiums than i've collected. And life insurance too.

One reason I tell any sales agent to make sure NONE of those items are discussed when I get sent to the manager. I walked out on one dealer when I was about to sign the documents and they brought up protection plans, etching, etc.

the letter of the law is these things have to be offered to every customer or none there is no in between

the letter of the law is these things have to be offered to every customer or none there is no in between
The last sales manager said here are the documents that showed you were offered these .. I know you aren't going to purchase .. that's OK. When I tell them I DO NOT want any sales pitch on any of those services, I expect that to be done .. or I'll walk.

Maybe the insurances need to be offered, but I doubt the etching and the paint/fabric protection need to be offered by law.

FOr the finance guy to keep his job he has to have a given percentage of sales of these things, plus he's paid on commission and he likes to eat and have a roof over his head.
it's annoying, but it's his job.

that's changing today with the internet. And I avoid it by hitting up my credit union for a check - "i don't need any financing" and you have more control. When I bought my subaru that got me 1.2% interest rate instead of 2.4% from my credit union, and no add ons.

I have in the past used the extended warranty - to my benefit.

What i'm annoyed with now I got ziebart on our chevy truck (all trucks seem to rust out too fast) and find out a year later that you need to do the 'annual maintenance'...$50. fine. 3 years of that and 'oh, sorry, we made a mistake, it's a truck so it' $79/year'..so it's doubled the cost of ziebart then nearly doubled the annual cost.

so after 10ish years that's 1100ish more spent..but if we can keep the truck a year longer or have a rust free one for trade in/ sale it may be worth it. Unfortunately we're racking up more miles than planned...19k a year..so it may end up a moot point value wise.

All insurance is a gamble..I've paid car insurance for 35 years and had 3 claims. Paid homeowners for 22 and had 1 claim. Paid biz insurance for 12 and never had a claim. I've paid more in premiums than i've collected. And life insurance too.

Honestly, I could care less what the finance guy gets .. that's up to the dealership. I have enough flexibility to desire none of the BS and will take my money elsewhere if they think they need to play the games.

I sat through one of those pitches 3 years ago when my son was closing on a car. Listened to the manager extol the virtues of the lease damage insurance that covered any issue under $1000 .. he even held up a beautiful $1200 alloy wheel with damage and said "Wouldn't it be great if this was covered?" .. to which I said "Yes it would .. but seeing as you limit the repair to $1000 per event .. it wouldn't!!". He shut up and didn't offer another thing.

The last sales manager said here are the documents that showed you were offered these .. I know you aren't going to purchase .. that's OK. When I tell them I DO NOT want any sales pitch on any of those services, I expect that to be done .. or I'll walk.

Maybe the insurances need to be offered, but I doubt the etching and the paint/fabric protection need to be offered by law.
In all the training I had both legal and sales training it was made very clear that all customers must be given the opportunity to purchase all products, he did have you sign a waiver that stated you were offered these and have declined to purchase them from the way it sounds

Reactions: ittigger
I all honesty I offered thing that I thought were of value to a particular customer, I believe in the extended warranties we offered as well as GAP coverage if you were upside down in your loan, and credit life disability insurance is good for people who don't have coverage from another source

In all the training I had both legal and sales training it was made very clear that all customers must be given the opportunity to purchase all products, he did have you sign a waiver that stated you were offered these and have declined to purchase them from the way it sounds
There is no requirement to buy protectant .. so there is no need to have a law requiring it to be offered. That is different from GAP insurance and such.

As I said, if a sales office feels they need to offer these things after I state I do not want to hear the offers, that's up to them. I have twice walked out ..

There is no requirement to buy protectant .. so there is no need to have a law requiring it to be offered. That is different from GAP insurance and such.

As I said, if a sales office feels they need to offer these things after I state I do not want to hear the offers, that's up to them. I have twice walked out ..
you don't have to hear you merely have to sign the paper that it was offered to you and you declined,

you don't have to hear you merely have to sign the paper that it was offered to you and you declined,
I'm OK with signing a paper for only those things legally mandated .. as long as I don't get the pitch. Not OK with signing a form that I turned down paint protection or fabric protection if it's only in the dealer's interest. I have no issue agreeing to what I bought .. but I'm not going to agree with things I didn't buy if I don't need to .. Contracts 101.

In the day where people can sue McDonalds and win because they spilled hot coffee on themselves a dealership has to cover their ass regarding any circumstance, in you would have refused to sign I would have been okay with your moving on to another dealership who was not so protective of themselves. my usual conversation was "there are an awful lot of products available to help you protect your investment I can understand that you have no interest in them and I don't want to waste your time going over them if you would simply sign this document confirming that you have been offered them and are not interested we can move on to the business of getting you on the road in your new car, if you refuse I would and did on several occasions say, I understand completely, unfortunately we here at XYZ cars, do have some internal requirements that have to be fulfilled, if you would truly not like to do business on our terms I wish you well in your endeavors

In the day where people can sue McDonalds and win because they spilled hot coffee on themselves a dealership has to cover their ass regarding any circumstance, in you would have refused to sign I would have been okay with your moving on to another dealership who was not so protective of themselves. my usual conversation was "there are an awful lot of products available to help you protect your investment I can understand that you have no interest in them and I don't want to waste your time going over them if you would simply sign this document confirming that you have been offered them and are not interested we can move on to the business of getting you on the road in your new car, if you refuse I would and did on several occasions say, I understand completely, unfortunately we here at XYZ cars, do have some internal requirements that have to be fulfilled, if you would truly not like to do business on our terms I wish you well in your endeavors
No issue .. I would have walked. McDonalds doesn't make you sign anything.

Contract writing was one of my jobs last decade .. You always state what you WILL do .. never what you won't do (because if you do and leave something out, it may appear to be included). So .. I will happily sign things that state what I am buying, but will only sign documents required by law for things that I am not. If a dealership passes on that, there are many others.

Trust me I used to work in the F&I office of a dealership the things I offered were
Warranty as much as $3000
GAP $700
Protection package consisted of Paint sealant, under coating and scotch guard $999
Credit life disability priced at a percentage of the purchase price
Tire and wheel protection $599
anti theft etching $599
there was a lot more it wasn't hard to add $5000 to $7000 to the price of the vehicle

Tax alone would have been over $1000
People are gullible they tend to buy on the payment they can afford and cars are sold that way so what are you you comfortable at payment wise ???? $400, up to and if you had too stretch a little. great news we can get you into that car today at a payment you can afford have a seat with Jerry our Finance manager he will go over everything with you, then Jerry does a lot of talking and not a lot of explaining sign here sign here and bam you own that car for $500 a month for the for the next 84 months. obviously some people don't fall for it but it is how about 50% of the deals go down

I'm not disagreeing with you - that could easily add a ton of money to a new vehicles cost - keyword, NEW (and I MIGHT be able to see certified used), but certainly not used - and if this did occur with him on the used GMC van, then shame on the him for not knowing better.