Advice for an outdoor event...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

TheOlogee

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 4, 2011
Texas
www.idjdfw.com
I have an outdoor gig scheduled for June and need some advice. I currently have some QSC K10s. They have worked great for the gigs I've had so far which all have been smaller indoor venues with about 50 - 100 guests. Given their size I don't think they will work well outdoors. Also not sure how well plastic will keep up in the Texas heat. There was a guy who recently did a gig using some 12" JBL EONs and the sound was horrible. Harsh highs, muffled mids, and NO low end. He gets a lot of business around here but I know I can deliver better.

The guest size for the outdoor event is expected to be 100 to 150 and I am considering getting another set of speakers for outdoor applications.

I have some very old MTX speakers from when I started out in the early 90s. (If anyone can tell me what model these are Id appreciate it!) They still work BUT my ear for sound quality as well as my back have matured since then so am looking for clean audio without the hernia.

I have my eye on a set of Peavey PV115s as a starting point and could use them on larger indoor gigs in the future. I prefer to not go buy anything if the K10s can get it done. But definitely want a passive system for outside if I have to get new tools for the job. I already have a PV118 sub (moderate hernia factor). Ive heard better but the build quality seems decent and I caught it on sale.

What do y'all think?

Attachments

• 2012-04-17_19-16-17_318.jpg
    2012-04-17_19-16-17_318.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 9
I think you're on the right track. One of my primary motivations on getting away from actives was outdoor gigs. You didn't mention amps but the IPR3000 has proven solid in my book. Plenty of power and light as a feather. One thing you might think about though, those units at 52lbs each and I'm not sure how sensitive they are. For about the same money, I got Carvins that I love (2 sets actually) and they have 99spl sensitivity. I've got both the neo12s and 15s. They get loud and stay clean.

I've run actives outdoors without too much issue. I used to own Mackie SRM450s, and although a tad harsh, would run all day in the direct sun (7 hours at 85+ temps). One issue with the K10 is the spread of the horn .. At 90 degrees, it won't throw as far as the K12/KW112 or most of the 15" units out there with 75 degree or 60 degree horns. I've had no issue with the plastic cabinet.

If you go passive, I wouldn't bother with the Peaveys .. I would look for a used pair of Yamaha Club speakers (Series IV or V) or the EV ELX passives, which seem to be pretty cheap. I used to have the Yamahas and they sound great for a 2 way 15.

I think you're on the right track. One of my primary motivations on getting away from actives was outdoor gigs. You didn't mention amps but the IPR3000 has proven solid in my book. Plenty of power and light as a feather. One thing you might think about though, those units at 52lbs each and I'm not sure how sensitive they are. For about the same money, I got Carvins that I love (2 sets actually) and they have 99spl sensitivity. I've got both the neo12s and 15s. They get loud and stay clean.

Thanks I will look into the Carvins. Regarding amps I have a QSC GX5 that I use for the PV118 that is processed through a DriveRack PA+.

I've run actives outdoors without too much issue. I used to own Mackie SRM450s, and although a tad harsh, would run all day in the direct sun (7 hours at 85+ temps). One issue with the K10 is the spread of the horn .. At 90 degrees, it won't throw as far as the K12/KW112 or most of the 15" units out there with 75 degree or 60 degree horns. I've had no issue with the plastic cabinet.

If you go passive, I wouldn't bother with the Peaveys .. I would look for a used pair of Yamaha Club speakers (Series IV or V) or the EV ELX passives, which seem to be pretty cheap. I used to have the Yamahas and they sound great for a 2 way 15.

Curious on your opinions about Peaveys...do tell.

Curious on your opinions about Peaveys...do tell.
Never been a fan of the sound (other than the older SP line). At that price, the Yamahas or the EVs are a much better value IMO.

Maybe in San Diego .. :tribiggrin: They are factory direct only and the neo boxes (the TRX line) appear to elicit both great reviews and so-so ones. The issue appears to be weak compression drivers and issues with some of the horns. The dual 10 inch actually looks enticing to me as a backup.

Im sure Carvins are awesome. I just want to hear them before I buy. Today I checked out the PV115s, EV ELX112 and ELX115s. The Peaveys sounded decent and priced right. The EVs were slightly better but I could not gauge much difference between the ELX112 and ELX115. This was at a local Guitar Center so being indoors and close proximity could have factored.

Does anyone have experience with any of these speakers outdoors?

Again Im looking for speakers for an outside event which is my first outdoor gig since 1996. Back then I had my MTXs which did the job then but the clientele was a bunch of teenagers as was I at that time so taste and expectations were not as profound then.

Thanks for the feedback...you guys are the best.

I've used a pair of QSC HPR152i's outside on tripods for a crowd of about 175. MORE than enough loud for the crowd.. The only b*tch I have with these is they are 105 lbs each. Takes 2 to get 'em on the tripods. They be heavy AND expensive....however they sure get the job done. At this particular party many had never heard GOOD dj sound. Many compliments that day for me. I've heard the newer QSC lines and they're good too.....but I'm going to keep my big heavy beasts.
The funny thing too is I watch Craigslist and buy up what I can use. In New England very little HPRi QSC stuff ever comes up. That alone tells me something.

Best,

Paul

View attachment 26339

Attachments

• HPR152F_front_right_hi_sm.jpg
    HPR152F_front_right_hi_sm.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 90
I use the EV Live X 12's. Not sure if I'd use them (or any other active speaker) outdoors because of environmental issues (interpreted as direct sunlight and rain). Outdoors, I'm generally using a passive system.

I use the EV Live X 12's. Not sure if I'd use them (or any other active speaker) outdoors because of environmental issues (interpreted as direct sunlight and rain). Outdoors, I'm generally using a passive system.

I do want passives as my next purchase so I can keep an eye on my amps at booth level.

I will be doing a non-paid outdoor event for a non-profit next month (May). The crowd is expected to be about the same size as my June gig. I am tempted to try my existing setup at that event as a test before making a purchase. Ive read in a couple of forums where DJs have used K8s as well as K10s and Ksubs outdoors with success.

The issue comes down to how many outdoor events I plan to do and does it justify spending cash over turning the gigs down to others as I earn enough to properly equip myself. Being back in this for less than a year is not enough time for me to guage.

I do want passives as my next purchase so I can keep an eye on my amps at booth level.

I will be doing a non-paid outdoor event for a non-profit next month (May). The crowd is expected to be about the same size as my June gig. I am tempted to try my existing setup at that event as a test before making a purchase. Ive read in a couple of forums where DJs have used K8s as well as K10s and Ksubs outdoors with success.

The issue comes down to how many outdoor events I plan to do and does it justify spending cash over turning the gigs down to others as I earn enough to properly equip myself. Being back in this for less than a year is not enough time for me to guage.
I would never use a K8 or K10 outdoors, are you kidding me? You need something more robust.

The K8 and K10 are very robust speakers. The issue with them is they have wide dispersion horns, which won't carry very far outdoors (same issue with your 802s). A 12" or 15" box with a dispersion around 75 degrees will be a good compromise to cover both a dance are and to reach back enough for general use. If the area to cover isn't that large (150 people says it's fairly big), then the smaller tops might work.