Is It True?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I don't think client's care about the mechanics of how you do your work. What they do care about is that you do what you promise. They also care about aesthetics, and their guests having fun.

For me, part of how I DJ is about the manipulation I can exercise over the music in real time, in front of guests. Others don't find that important and don't market with it. So, for those DJs having a controller may not be important. But for me, it is.

I have used them and I considered buying one just to have around and toy with but on a daily basis for what I do I have no need for one it would be just one more piece of gear to carry

I have used them and I considered buying one just to have around and toy with but on a daily basis for what I do I have no need for one it would be just one more piece of gear to carry
So what do you use ? Myself I have 2 controllers . One for backup .

I use a controller but only because I like the tactile feel of it, I don't do any fancy DJ tricks or effects,

Same here... I have a basic controller with only the essential effects, and I use the effects sparingly. I remember how it always annoyed me when the DJ would screw up one of my favorite tunes while adding unnecessary enhancements. I was NOT impressed then, and now that I know how easy it is, I'm even less impressed.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy with my Numark D2 Director.
It's a basic dual-deck mp3 player.
I don't have the need for anything else.

I use no controller, but I think that it is a great skill to have. Since we primarily only do weddings. I find that I personally don't need one. I find that music programing at the right time and being a skilled MC is more important for what "we" do. But my hat is off to all those that learn the "craft". )

I use a controller for 3 things .. to cue up a song point (occasionally), to set a loop (rarely) and to have nice big stop/start/pause buttons. I use the mixer section on my Denon, but use a separate mixer when I use my little controllers (Numark DJ2GO, Behringer CMD Micro). The controller platters are just convenient rotary controls for me.

If you get use to utilizing a Touch Screen, the usefulness of the Controller fades away quick if you are strictly doing weddings and parties.

For those of you who have a touchscreen laptop, and use virtual DJ, download the Multi Touch Skin for VDJ8, and switch over to it. It's pretty awesome to use. I could see myself using that in conjunction with a 21.5' or 23.8 or 27 inch All in One Computer at gigs...the platter would be plenty big for scratching right on the screen. All the buttons are nice and big on it...it's pretty cool to use. If you have a All In One with a stand that let's you bend it and bend the screen down and back, you can set up the screen like a Controller and literally look down at it if you want.

Essentially, it would be just like the Emulator, except with Virtual DJ, and you wouldn't need to spend $4,000+ on it.

I don't miss using my controller at all really. It was fun while it lasted. I think as touch screen get's more popular, controllers will fade away and be looked at as old tech in a few years.

If you get use to utilizing a Touch Screen, the usefulness of the Controller fades away quick if you are strictly doing weddings and parties.

For those of you who have a touchscreen laptop, and use virtual DJ, download the Multi Touch Skin for VDJ8, and switch over to it. It's pretty awesome to use. I could see myself using that in conjunction with a 21.5' or 23.8 or 27 inch All in One Computer at gigs...the platter would be plenty big for scratching right on the screen. All the buttons are nice and big on it...it's pretty cool to use. If you have a All In One with a stand that let's you bend it and bend the screen down and back, you can set up the screen like a Controller and literally look down at it if you want.

Essentially, it would be just like the Emulator, except with Virtual DJ, and you wouldn't need to spend $4,000+ on it.

I don't miss using my controller at all really. It was fun while it lasted. I think as touch screen get's more popular, controllers will fade away and be looked at as old tech in a few years.
but no big button ... I still want a pause/play button I can easily hit outside the booth if necessary.

Reactions: Ausumm
With the number of missed button presses that I have on iPhones and iPads, I wouldn't ever count on those touch screens for any work where "real time" is actually an issue. I just don't see them taking over the DJ market.

I don't know if the average guest cares, but I care. Now that I have an interest in this field, the very first thing I do at any wedding, party, club? Scan all the gear and discuss it with the DJ! I will never be a full time DJ as I am too busy with regular work, but when I do land a gig now and then there will be one stipulation: Lot's of setup time. Like 4 hours minimum. I like to bring lots of lights and lots of gear. It makes me feel powerful. I know, it's a delusion, but I'm good with that.

...when I do land a gig now and then there will be one stipulation: Lot's of setup time. Like 4 hours minimum.

Time is always a nice to have, but not always a luxury that is offered. Being selective about gigs you take will be key. The other way to get it all done is to add man power and hire people. But to do that you need to charge for it.

Reactions: ittigger
Now that I have an interest in this field, the very first thing I do at any wedding, party, club? Scan all the gear and discuss it with the DJ! I will never be a full time DJ as I am too busy with regular work, but when I do land a gig now and then there will be one stipulation: Lot's of setup time. Like 4 hours minimum. I like to bring lots of lights and lots of gear. It makes me feel powerful. I know, it's a delusion, but I'm good with that.

The thing is, people aren't necessarily willing to participate in your delusion.

If you start chatting me up at a gig I'll be polite but, ultimately I'm there to serve a client's interest (not yours) and I'm going to end the conversation at the point where those interests diverge.

The idea that you would be entitled to 4 hours for setup of DJ gear and DJ lighting is unrealistic. The role of the banquet sales office is to maximize the sale and use of the space, and at hotels that means back-to-back events. If it takes 4 man hours to do your setup - then you should have 4 people available to work on it when there is only a one hour window in the room flip.

You can choose to be part time but, you cannot survive a choice to be unprofessional.

Last edited:
I have on very rare occasion done set up earlier in the day if the room is available...maybe 5 or 6 times in 16 years. However, The most I will ever need is 3 hours, and that is only at those very hard load in wedding venues where I need to to do 3 different set ups for ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception, AND if they added in full room up lighting to top it all off...then MAYBE I might need 3 hours just to give myself plenty of time to do it all. However, that type of wedding happens maybe once a year.

I also did a BIG Holiday party last year where I needed 3 hours for load in, but that was the first holiday party I ever did where I needed that much time.

Most events I arrive 90 minutes prior to start time for load in, set up, and parking my car, and I usually have 15 to 20 minutes for a bathroom break, and to sit for a few minutes before I start.