Please pray for me at this Saturday's gig that all goes well.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Now does that sound a bit crazy to you.

No, it doesn't sound crazy at all. When my clients are specific about what they want - it makes it really easy to deliver great results for them. Making sure you have the correct version of the song is a completely appropriate request on his part.

It sounds like you're complaining that he wants jazz and gospel music played during the meal... Who cares? You're not supposed to play dance music during dinner time - the goal isn't for people to dance.

It sounds like he has a better handle on how this event is supposed to flow that you do, and you're supposed to be the professional.

Having the right song version is something I always check with the client before hand. As for what he is asking, doesn't sound to hard at all. Sounds like cocktail and dinner music with dancing to follow. Your issue is you see the whole 4 hours as a big dance party and that is no what the client wants. You need to learn to listen and respect what your clients are saying. Your opinion or other DJs opinions do not matter only the clients. Now if you are asked for guidance or help then you can offer it otherwise LISTEN to what they are saying and do exactly what they want to perfection.

As for why others and I can charge way we do with no extras added given away is just what I said above. We listen to our clients and help guide them through their party. We make sure it is all about them and what they want and not about what we want and what would make us happy. I would never tell a client I am to busy to listen to a song to make sure it is the right version.

My clients know when the day of the party arrives the last thing they have to worry about is what I am doing and wether or not it will be done right because we have already taken he steps to make sure there are no questions.

You again care only about what you think is a good party. I have done events were I played 4 hours of Jazz and big band and not a single person danced. You know what the client loved it.it wasn't my cup of tea but it wasn't my party. I did what they wanted and got paid.

No, it doesn't sound crazy at all. When my clients are specific about what they want - it makes it really easy to deliver great results for them. Making sure you have the correct version of the song is a completely appropriate request on his part.

It sounds like you're complaining that he wants jazz and gospel music played during the meal... Who cares? You're not supposed to play dance music during dinner time - the goal isn't for people to dance.

It sounds like he has a better handle on how this event is supposed to flow that you do, and you're supposed to be the professional.
He wants those styles of music through most of the event and not just while the people are eating. People aren't going to be eating for 3 hours . I just got to understand why he wants that song for his entrance . He plans to dance to the song with his . Right now I'm in a doctor's office getting ready to get an MRI done . He's pissing me off. I just got a text message that he still needs to hear the song to get the tempo of the song for him to dance to . WFT ? I told him I would try to do it later on. I did tell him about where I'm at right now .

I did have one issue with Jimmy's comment about him saying when I'm doing an event I would like to have more than 20 people there. When it comes to a private event I'm doing for a client I don't have control over that . My job is to get paid . After that do the job as to how the client wants things done and when it's over pack up and go . How many people that they get to come to the event is on the client . I will ask the client how many people do you plan will be there to get an idea of what gear is needed for the job? Such as if the event will require me to bring subs or not and if needed how many to bring . For that matter if needed which ones to bring .

Mix, still missing the point. You had plenty of time to talk to him and get this stuff figured out but all you have is excuses. If you treated this like a business you would have spoken with him and had him sign a contract and gone over a time line of when things needed to be done. Instead you just said yes to whoever that you would do the party and then chase him around trying to find out what is going on. Now he wants something done and you cannot deliver and better yet are mad because he is even asking. This is why you will never be able to charge more money. One last thing you do not need to understand why he wants to do anything. Your job is just to do it.

Reactions: PhaseIIPro
Your friend's brother sounds a bit narcissistic ! I would think a preacher would be more concerned for his flock than his own entrance, but what do I know.

As far as I know, there haven't been any recent remixes of the tune, so assuming you can verify that it is indeed the R Kelly version he wants, I think there is only one version. Lots of cover versions to be sure.

He wants those styles of music through most of the event and not just while the people are eating. People aren't going to be eating for 3 hours . I just got to understand why he wants that song for his entrance . He plans to dance to the song with his . Right now I'm in a doctor's office getting ready to get an MRI done . He's pissing me off. I just got a text message that he still needs to hear the song to get the tempo of the song for him to dance to . WFT ? I told him I would try to do it later on. I did tell him about where I'm at right now .

I did have one issue with Jimmy's comment about him saying when I'm doing an event I would like to have more than 20 people there. When it comes to a private event I'm doing for a client I don't have control over that . My job is to get paid . After that do the job as to how the client wants things done and when it's over pack up and go . How many people that they get to come to the event is on the client . I will ask the client how many people do you plan will be there to get an idea of what gear is needed for the job? Such as if the event will require me to bring subs or not and if needed how many to bring . For that matter if needed which ones to bring .

What do you care what he walk in on? It's his party, do as he wants. I have played whole events that I hated most of the music. But you know what, the client wanted to hear it, so that's what got paid. If he wants jazz all night long, who cares, as long as he's happy. You constantly spin your wheels in stuff you shouldn't be worried about. Maybe you would be getting more business if you didn't try to dictate to all your clients how their events should go. If they are paying, then give them what they want. You can't keep a lounge gig because you want to tell the owners how to run their bars/clubs. It seems like your a control freak.

Mix, still missing the point. You had plenty of time to talk to him and get this stuff figured out but all you have is excuses. If you treated this like a business you would have spoken with him and had him sign a contract and gone over a time line of when things needed to be done. Instead you just said yes to whoever that you would do the party and then chase him around trying to find out what is going on. Now he wants something done and you cannot deliver and better yet are mad because he is even asking. This is why you will never be able to charge more money. One last thing you do not need to understand why he wants to do anything. Your job is just to do it.
Having the right song version is something I always check with the client before hand. As for what he is asking, doesn't sound to hard at all. Sounds like cocktail and dinner music with dancing to follow. Your issue is you see the whole 4 hours as a big dance party and that is no what the client wants. You need to learn to listen and respect what your clients are saying. Your opinion or other DJs opinions do not matter only the clients. Now if you are asked for guidance or help then you can offer it otherwise LISTEN to what they are saying and do exactly what they want to perfection.

As for why others and I can charge way we do with no extras added given away is just what I said above. We listen to our clients and help guide them through their party. We make sure it is all about them and what they want and not about what we want and what would make us happy. I would never tell a client I am to busy to listen to a song to make sure it is the right version.

My clients know when the day of the party arrives the last thing they have to worry about is what I am doing and wether or not it will be done right because we have already taken he steps to make sure there are no questions.

You again care only about what you think is a good party. I have done events were I played 4 hours of Jazz and big band and not a single person danced. You know what the client loved it.it wasn't my cup of tea but it wasn't my party. I did what they wanted and got paid.
There you go again with your crap. Where did you get that I feel it's about me and I only care about me? I said I was going to do as I was told. I said very plainly that I know for certain some of the guest there will bug me and want something else from me. My plan is that when this happens I'm going to tell them to see him and let him make the call. A lot of the people that will be there are not strangers to me. I can tell you right now a lot of the people that will attend the event have seen me in action plenty of times before. If it's the family members or friends of the family. So they will automatically look for one thing from me and it's not what he wants. Again I will follow his lead and do what he wants me to do.

I was at my best friends house when his niece found out I was going to be the DJ and said she was happy about that. Pay attention sir. At the end is when he wants me to play some music for people to dance to. Not like what you said where the client didn't want any music for people to dance to. Big difference between the 2. I told my best friends wife what he wants and she knows that will go nowhere fast with that crowd for sure. Now tell me if you know any other version of I Believe I Can Fly by R kelly?

Honestly I do have one concern and that is this. I am worried about the people who will be there that have never seen me in action before. I'm worried they will think that I'm a boring DJ playing all that stuff and they don't know it's his call not mine. Those who know me and him both will understand and probably shake their head because they know who he is.

What do you care what he walk in on? It's his party, do as he wants. I have played whole events that I hated most of the music. But you know what, the client wanted to hear it, so that's what got paid. If he wants jazz all night long, who cares, as long as he's happy. You constantly spin your wheels in stuff you shouldn't be worried about. Maybe you would be getting more business if you didn't try to dictate to all your clients how their events should go. If they are paying, then give them what they want. You can't keep a lounge gig because you want to tell the owners how to run their bars/clubs. It seems like your a control freak.
Again where did you see me say I was dictating anything to any client? You didn't! My true concern is not about me but that the guest who attend the event have a good time. I don't want them to blame me for not having a good time. Remember this supposed to be a special celebration and not a funeral procession.

Again when talking to a potential client I always like to find out what styles of music they want for THEIR EVENT! What I do then is make some decisions after that. Is it an event I want to do which can also have to do with the location of the event and styles of music they want. At times that's a good indication of the type of event it will be and the people who will be attending the event. Another factor has to do with for me personally how familiar I am with the music they want. That doesn't mean I can only play old school house music or classic soul. I just don't want my company to look bad because we don't know what we're doing when it comes to playing music at an event for a client.

Pay close attention to this Jimmy please. Hopefully after this you will stop putting things in your head that shouldn't be there.

I just found out about the event last month from his sister who I met outside one day while getting ready to go into a CVS. We wound up parking next to one another. I get out and she tells me that he is having this celebration and wants me to be the DJ. She showed me a postcard about the event and the date for the event. So he didn't even have the courtesy to call me to tell me this. I had to have a chance meeting with his sister.

I just told her then to tell him to call me. It was a little over a week later before he finally called me the first time. Keep in mind me and his brother have been best friends for 48 years. When he first called me he didn't leave me with much to go on since he wasn't sure of everything he wanted at that time. He said he would call me later with the rest of the details. So a week goes by and I didn't hear anything from him. That's when I sent his sister a text message saying for him to contact me. He finally got back to me this past Tuesday telling me everything he wanted from me. That's a little over 2 weeks after our first conversation. So now that leaves me with last minute to get the things he wants for this event just 4 days to go before the event. Have no fear DJ MACHO MAN is here! So he will get what he wants. I had some of the stuff. A lot of it but not all of it. That's why I hate when a client waits till the last minute to give me the full details. Good thing we're not back in the days when you only could get music to do an event with by going to a record store. Especially last minute.

The other 2 things is that while in my best friends house for Thanksgiving I mentioned I the event and that I was to be the DJ. His wife didn't know it was back on. That's how crazy this thing is. The last thing is I just found out from my best friends wife yesterday that his brothers wife won't be there. Please pray for her. She told me she had another small stroke and is in the hospital. So that have been a big reason why he didn't get back to me in a timely manner.

Ok I will try to answer everything. I have 5 versions of I believe I Can Fly, so yes there are other versions out there and those were mainly for the clubs but maybe one of those is what he wants, but you won't know this. Next piece, the only person you should care about is the client. Look I get it you want everyone to have a good time but in the end it doesn't matter. If you do everything he wants he will be happy. Now here is the kicker to it all. It doesn't matter what you do because these people all know you are cheap or free and they will book you for anything they have because they know they won't have to pay. If all you do is family and friends parties you will never ever grow your business and have a chance to raise your rates. As far as him calling you last minute and telling you what he wants, that again is your fault. If you had a contract with his information on it you could have been contacting him directly and not going through his sister, aunt Jenny or anyone else you know instead of the Birthday Boy himself.

What your website should say is. DJ MIXMASTERFORFAMILYANDFRIENDSCHEAP.

i wonder what would happen if you had to do two or three jobs in one weekend. Your head may explode because you can barely handle one.

i wonder what would happen if you had to do two or three jobs in one weekend. Your head may explode because you can barely handle one.
Things would get done as they have in the past. I just got off the phone with him and played the song for him. It was the version I knew he wanted. Not some club version. OK. I also had to get things cleared as to what time I can come in to setup. It was to be 1pm and I just finished talking to his sister telling her I needed to be able to come in to setup between 11:30 and 12 so that gives me plenty of time to get setup properly. Also so I can have time to change and have a little down time to relax before I go to work. I asked his sister about the things he wanted for his event and she even said it was crazy to her. So go figure people this is her sister saying this.

Jimmy I have to disagree with you on your only job is to please the client. You would hope that the client you're doing the event for is thoughtful enough to want to have things that will make them happy as well since they are guest at the event they are having. Of course that doesn't always happen as you know. You've been doing this a long time just like me and you know sometimes what the client wants is a disaster waiting to happen. You know that right? I clearly understand your point and like I said and will continue to say is I'm following orders today until he wants things changed. It has nothing to do with me. Last thing before I go take a shower to prepare to leave and that is this. Of course I've done events where I couldn't stand the music the client wanted. Yet it's my job to do what the client wants me to do and not the other way around period end of story. That doesn't mean at times you can't give some friendly suggestions right? I'm saying telling anybody what to do but just a few friendly suggestions.

By the way his sister told me his wife will be there and that he is getting on her last nerve too.

Again the biggest issue with all of this is you know all these people. You are talking to everyone but the client and there is the problem. You are all bitching about what he wants and it doesn't matter. You should be saying nothing to anyone. This is what you do not get.

He would be like Kanye and have a nervous breakdown. I can't believe that he is stressing out so much about this simple gig. Nothing complicated about what your being asked to do.

I'm sure that this will be a very drama filled date for machoman, and he might need a sedative later.

How many subs you taking today, 12? Are your drs115's fixed yet?

Good luck today man. I'm sure it will be THROUGH THE ROOF. If your the pro you claim to be, your experience will shine through and it will be a smooth, great event.

Things would get done as they have in the past. I just got off the phone with him and played the song for him. It was the version I knew he wanted. Not some club version. OK. I also had to get things cleared as to what time I can come in to setup. It was to be 1pm and I just finished talking to his sister telling her I needed to be able to come in to setup between 11:30 and 12 so that gives me plenty of time to get setup properly. Also so I can have time to change and have a little down time to relax before I go to work. I asked his sister about the things he wanted for his event and she even said it was crazy to her. So go figure people this is her sister saying this.

Jimmy I have to disagree with you on your only job is to please the client. You would hope that the client you're doing the event for is thoughtful enough to want to have things that will make them happy as well since they are guest at the event they are having. Of course that doesn't always happen as you know. You've been doing this a long time just like me and you know sometimes what the client wants is a disaster waiting to happen. You know that right? I clearly understand your point and like I said and will continue to say is I'm following orders today until he wants things changed. It has nothing to do with me. Last thing before I go take a shower to prepare to leave and that is this. Of course I've done events where I couldn't stand the music the client wanted. Yet it's my job to do what the client wants me to do and not the other way around period end of story. That doesn't mean at times you can't give some friendly suggestions right? I'm saying telling anybody what to do but just a few friendly suggestions.

By the way his sister told me his wife will be there and that he is getting on her last nerve too.

Why are you talking to his sister about what time you should be there? Is she the client?

I just told her then to tell him to call me. It was a little over a week later before he finally called me the first time. Keep in mind me and his brother have been best friends for 48 years. When he first called me he didn't leave me with much to go on since he wasn't sure of everything he wanted at that time. He said he would call me later with the rest of the details. So a week goes by and I didn't hear anything from him. That's when I sent his sister a text message saying for him to contact me. He finally got back to me this past Tuesday telling me everything he wanted from me. That's a little over 2 weeks after our first conversation. So now that leaves me with last minute to get the things he wants for this event just 4 days to go before the event. Have no fear DJ MACHO MAN is here! So he will get what he wants. I had some of the stuff. A lot of it but not all of it. That's why I hate when a client waits till the last minute to give me the full details. Good thing we're not back in the days when you only could get music to do an event with by going to a record store. Especially last minute.
So for future reference when somebody calls you to book a gig, if you don't do anything else at least get their contact info so you don't have to send a text to their sister to tell them to call you, That is very unprofessional and amateur, don't get me wrong you did a lot of other things incorrectly, but that is as basic as it gets

Mix, Mix, Mix... Not sure why it should come as a shock to you that people keep razzin' you about your posts, but this is SOCIAL MEDIA, and that's what some people do. [emoji1]
As long as you continue to post your private thoughts and fears (and you've posted some pretty goofy stuff, frankly), there's a good chance you're going to be ridiculed for it. If the ridicule gets out of hand (as it sometimes does), you might just have to stop being SO open.
People come to these sites for different reasons... some like to vent, some come to learn, some to ridicule, some come to prove their superiority, some to get advice, some to help others, some to fellowship, and some to have some fun. With SO many here for different reasons, you're gonna get responses that are not the kind you were seeking when you posted. Ignore 'em and move on.
Good luck with your gig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sonic-vision