Song Capacity Calculator for MP3 Players*

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DjDennis

RIP- My Dad (2011), Sister (2013) and Mum (2017)
Ok here is a page that I think EVERYONE will want to look at

http://www.richardfarrar.com/song-capacity-calculator-for-mp3-players/

Now if you’re considering buying an MP3 player, or are just wondering how much of your music collection will fit on to one, then this little utility could be just what you’re looking for.

Can this be Stuck at top as it will be valuable for all to learn

mp3-calc-100x150.jpg All credit goes out to Richard Farrar for creating this handy tool

Maybe they're still big in Australia, but aside from Amazon and maybe Best Buy or Target, I couldn't tell you where you could even buy an MP3 player in 2017. You might as well ask where to buy a floppy disk.

My take: The general public isn't interested in owning files anymore; a $10 Spotify subscription gets you almost every song you'd ever need without even thinking about the capacity of the device you're accessing it on. This tool might have been useful 15 years ago, but today it's just not needed.

yeah, my kids do apple music, and before that spotify. neither has bought any music in 2 or 3 years (except my son got some vinyl over christmas).

as for us..I have a 64g ipod and 32g card in my phone and 128g stick in my car. and I have little interest in taking 'all' my music to listen to personally. New stuff, perhaps something to review, and stuff I like to listen to.

Or sometimes just a 'random' play in the car..with 10,000+ songs it's interesting to see what comes up!

well its for whom ever needs to use it not just Djs

Reactions: ittigger
well its for whom ever needs to use it not just Djs

Most of those calculations are printed on the package of the device. I'm not sure anyone needs to use it... lol

Reactions: DJ TJ and ittigger
I guess it might be more accurate to call it a capacity ESTIMATOR. There's several assumptions going on there that don't necessarily apply... like all tracks were ripped at the same bitrate. Mine are all over the place 128-320. When I started ripping CD's 300GB disks were big, and pretty expensive. Ripping at 128 bits was the best solution. Now I won't buy anything less than 320.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The general public isn't interested in owning files anymore; a $10 Spotify subscription gets you almost every song you'd ever need...

Call me OCD, but I still like to buy and own the tracks I have.

What's the advantage of using Spotify or Pandora instead of my Galaxy S7 with 256gb in expandable memory?

Call me OCD, but I still like to buy and own the tracks I have.

Okay, you may have OCD, but as a DJ, you're also not the general public.

What's the advantage of using Spotify or Pandora instead of my Galaxy S7 with 256gb in expandable memory?

Spotify gives you access to ridiculous amounts of music for one low monthly price - more than you'd ever be able to fit on your phone via expanded memory, and more than you'd be able to buy individually without cashing in your 401k. If you want to hear something, you can find it and listen to it faster via Spotify than it would take you to hunt it down on iTunes, buy it and then transfer it to your phone.

Pandora simply runs audio streams based on the artist you select, but it also takes the guesswork out of what to play when you just want to hear music without personally choosing each song in the playlist. For personal listening, both Spotify and Pandora are decent services.

*yawn* looks like someone wants to add his 2c worth and I have him on ignore - if ya dont like it then tough dont reply

or i'll delete it and say it was your fault

have a not so nice day

not impressed

Okay, you may have OCD, but as a DJ, you're also not the general public.QUOTE]

Actually, I retired from this biz at the end of 2013. so I am John Q Public...who still likes to keep up with new music and new technology relevant to this industry. Plus I get to live vicariously through the gig logs...:)

I don't think I need my 160gb Zune anymore. Anyone care to make me an offer?

It's always been in a case and very gently used.

Zune .. wasn't that the SciFi movie with Sting in it?

$2 - do you deliver :)

Zune was way better than iCrap. Even years ago, I used to update my wife's Zune 'wirelessly' from my music laptop while it was on the clock / radio charger in our bedroom, no need to connect with a cable. Fidelity was miles ahead of the iCrap as well.
Now, now .. no need to be brandist.

My wife wanted to update her Nano for an upcoming marathon so she asked my son to do it. He is the one that swayed her to iCrap so I put him in charge of her music. (No Apple crap on my PC's.) What I find hilarious is that here we are, years later, and he still has to physically connect her Nano to the computer to sync it; how lame. Besides, I just could never get into supporting something created by someone who was such a complete dick. I will, however, give Apple's marketing department kudos for their brilliant marketing strategies.

Reactions: DjDennis
And I have used an iPod, iPads (I have 3) and iPhones (on #4) without issue for almost 10 years as my music machines. I would not consider changing.

And Steve Jobs was (is?) a GOD !!!! :)