Would you consider doing this wedding?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I'm having trouble with making a post on here from my pc. Hope I'm not locked out. Let me say I got to get ready for a wake tonight. Let me say I'm sorry for my outburst earlier. I was wrong and I hope when I get back home I can make that post.

Something is going on with my pc right now. I have to find out what's going on later. It won't let me upload some pictures or make a post.

Something is going on with my pc right now. I have to find out what's going on later. It won't let me upload some pictures or make a post.

^^^^ What is this if not a POST???? Seems you can post text. Not sure what's going on with the pics you're trying to post... perhaps your pics are as X-RATED as your language and can't get past the site's filters??[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found out the issue. The power strip that the modem is connected to keeps cutting off. I must be making a mistake hitting the switch.

Still .. it comes down to having something they value ..

That's true...
But people in MY area (and probably Kleen's) don't see the "value" in uplights, or monogram or etc.
And even though Taso says, "we're only talking $200" for an add-on...
that $200 is an awful lot of money, when they're only spending $600 to begin with.
Around here, we can easily lose a gig to someone cheaper over $50...even more so if they are $200 cheaper.
I get what you and Taso are saying, and it makes perfect business sense...
but in some areas, VALUE means "not paying too much"...
it doesn't mean "paying for something extra because it's worth it."

Last edited:
That's true...
But people in MY area (and probably Kleen's) don't see the "value" in uplights, or monogram or etc.
that $200 is an awful lot of money, when they're only spending $600 to begin with.
Around here, we can easily lose a gig to someone cheaper over $50...even more so if they are $200 cheaper.
Sometimes it is necessary to show someone the value.

Part of our job is consultant .. based on what a client needs to complete their vision, occasionally you need to lead them in the right direction. That doesn't mean one oversells everything in their portfolio, but a client may not be able to articulate specifics, but based on their vision, uplights, monograms or whatever just might be the missing piece and you (the general you, not the specific Mike you :) ) may need to show them.

Sometimes it is necessary to show someone the value.

Part of our job is consultant .. based on what a client needs to complete their vision, occasionally you need to lead them in the right direction. That doesn't mean one oversells everything in their portfolio, but a client may not be able to articulate specifics, but based on their vision, uplights, monograms or whatever just might be the missing piece and you (the general you, not the specific Mike you :) ) may need to show them.

I remember about 10 years ago I used to upsell a wireless mic if a client wanted one. I was ripped apart for saying that on DJC. Some of the same people that ripped me are now upselling everything from lights to popcorn machines. Guess I was just ahead of the curve ;)

I'm having trouble with making a post on here from my pc. Hope I'm not locked out. Let me say I got to get ready for a wake tonight. Let me say I'm sorry for my outburst earlier. I was wrong and I hope when I get back home I can make that post.

You're not banned or limited in function

That's true...
I agree with you, that to some value is in the savings. That still doesn't change the desire for "extra's" or spending more on things that couple's may desire. If by your area you mean the Bethlehem/Lehigh Valley area... upon doing my research, I found most dj's around the 700-800 price range... just as you mentioned... and some even as low as 395. However there was a couple of dj companies that started at 900 or 950 and one had listed packages for sound and lighting and such that went all the way up to $2400. Compared to the rest, they had pretty decent websites with LOTS of pictures, especially of their enhancements... so yes while MOST dj's are right in that range that you mentioned... even in your area there are people pushing that threshold a little further and going beyond the avg. They are certainly a minority, but I guarantee that they are the go to option for those couples that do seek more. I was simply pointing out to Kleen, that in a less crowded market, it is much easier to stand out by making certain changes, and while risky... there exists a desire for something more always. I don't know what the exact price point is that you can max out on what you charge...but if one believes they're worth it, it is definitely worth taking a chance and finding out.

Let me say this again. Sorry for my earlier outburst. My reason for getting so upset is because I hate when someone wants to put down people like Bob making such a statement. Bob is doing something that I won't say some others can't do but aren't doing and that is getting paid top dollar for the work he does. Itigger you said a great thing. The reason people like Bob get paid what they do is because they are in super high demand. Which in turn they can charge a premium price for the service they provide. What he does to get paid the money he gets paid goes further than what he provides his clients at events he does. He posted a picture of his office and that blew me away! His office looks a lot better then a lot of DJ setups. Not to mention that he dresses to the nines when he comes to do an event. So he looks like he's worth the price that people pay him. For me personally I can say he has turned down jobs that I would gladly accept right away. He can be selective like that because he is in such a high demand.

To be fair he has mentioned in the past that sometimes he does get worried about if he will get enough bookings at the rate he charges to maintain his way of living. One great thing though, you don't see him lowering his prices when he feels that way.

Taso thank you for that great post earlier about providing more stuff to clients so you can get paid more. That's great advice. Now the question comes up can a DJ afford to buy some of the things you mentioned. You mention a Dragons Front Board that cost $700. That in turn can help you raise your price. That's not exactly pocket change for some. That is fine if you can afford it. Not everybody can afford such a thing right off the top. In the case of the DJ averaging $650 a gig, he may be able to get one over time if he saves up the money he's getting paid to do these, which then could help him raise his rates. I will say this about you Taso. I love it when you say that such things can be done if you work hard at doing them. One of my personal favorites is Rev. Fredrick K.C. Price and he says I believe I received, I believe I received, I believe I received. In other words he doesn't let the word doubt cross his mind.

A few years back I bought a lighted facade. I still have it. I didn't know they cost that much. I got mine from Musically Yours. I sacrificed to get the one I have. It cost me over $500. He's a picture or 2 of it at an event we did. Please excuse the light behind it because it really wasn't the right light for it but at that time that's all I had to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2358.JPG
    IMG_2358.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2336.JPG
    IMG_2336.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: sonic-vision
That's true...

I agree with you Mike... I'm in a fairly low cost of living area, and incomes are considerably lower here than in some parts of the country. People don't expect to pay $2500 for a wedding DJ. I also believe, though, that you generally get out of something what you're willing to put into it. I could certainly increase, maybe even double, my price if I was willing to put 100% of my effort (and a little more money) into it. But I'm not. I put as much in as I can as long as it's fun, but if it's not feeling like it's fun, then I've exceeded my threshold.[emoji4]

I've already climbed the corporate ladder (three or four times), worked my @$$ off to make big bucks, and gave up my personal life for my career. I'm past that stage. I'm OK with competing with budget DJ's and NOT being the #1 DJ in town.[emoji1]

You mention a Dragons Front Board that cost $700. That in turn can help you raise your price.

Actually, that cannot help him raise his price. You can raise your price when you have alot of business. Just because you have more 'stuff' does not mean you can charge more. You have to deliver the customer a better experience - and it has to be an experience that is causing people to call and book you. Will any Dragon facade (or other facade) do that? Did the facade you bought help you raise your price?

Actually, that cannot help him raise his price. You can raise your price when you have alot of business. Just because you have more 'stuff' does not mean you can charge more. You have to deliver the customer a better experience - and it has to be an experience that is causing people to call and book you. Will any Dragon facade (or other facade) do that? Did the facade you bought help you raise your price?

Could not have said it better. A facade is unlikely to have any more value to a client than any other piece of furniture. Facades are good for hiding cables, which might save you some time setting up, so it has value for the DJ... but for the client... meh![emoji1]

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
What Taso was talking about was having things that others don't have or can offer. He just mentioned that facade because it is hot looking and will stand out compared to what another DJs setup will look like.

That doesn't allow him to charge more. What allows him to charge more is the amount and type of people that want his service. They are willing to pay for the experience he delivers. Taso is in demand - and because of that, his price is higher. Taso can and does demonstrate that by the amount of high end events he performs.

If he is not able to demonstrate that to the customer or to convey the value, then they would not pay for it.

Reactions: Ausumm
What I got out of Taso's post is that every detail needs to be examined and improved in order to have a higher perceived value. Perception is part of the equation but without delivery of performance and customer service all of those "investments" won't cut it.

I'm convinced that Dragon board makes some of the best looking facades that will set you apart from average DJs - perception wise. It might even boost your confidence as a DJ. But having a great looking setup is just part of the equation.

<== Personally, I don't want to overwhelm a customer with a 2nd good looking facade, when then have the premier one right here. :king:

What I got out of Taso's post is that every detail needs to be examined and improved in order to have a higher perceived value. Perception is part of the equation but without delivery of performance and customer service all of those "investments" won't cut it.

I'm convinced that Dragon board makes some of the best looking facades that will set you apart from average DJs - perception wise. It might even boost your confidence as a DJ. But having a great looking setup is just part of the equation.
I said the same thing when I talked about how Bob dresses at the events he does and the look of his office.

The part you have to hear is that it's not one thing that Taso does that allows him to charge more - it's all of it. It's the entire experience. Buying a new facade (even one made by Dragon) will not allow you to raise your prices. Dressing nice doesn't allow to charge more. Having an office doesn't allow you to charge more.

Demonstrating to your customers that your worth it (and getting more customers) is what allows you to charge more. If Taso changed his price to 10k, people may not buy it. If he left his price there because he thought that he was worth it, people still may not buy. In that image, Taso has no customers and a high price. Without customers, there's no point.

Because Taso is demonstrating his value and his demand, he can raise his price.

Last edited:
its been a busy weekend for me, so ive been a little quiter than normal, but I really wanted to respond to this (at 5 am so bear with me).

ittigger and jas kinda nailed it. Any one of these items on its own is not a justification for charging more. First and foremost to charge more, you have to be REALLY good at what you do. I don't talk about music much, because to me its understood that without being good at playing the right music and mixing it properly for the crowd you're trying to attract, everything else is a waste. My ability to energize a crowd through music and create a vibe that most can't is the initial thing that got me to stand out from the very beginning. I HIGHLY advise to everyone to spend a few times a year going out to clubs and bars where the good dj's play and listen. Expose yourself to different combinations of song, mixing styles, new music, etc. That's what helped me. I'd go out all the time and see what was going on at the clubs, and bring that experience to my Sweet 16's. I didn't play the corny line dances, or the same top 40 songs everyone else was playing... I was introducing a club experience that few were bringing to my events.

So yes, although I was getting noticed... it wasn't enough. For the clientele I ultimately wanted to attract, more needed to be done to grab their attention. That is where everything else comes in hand in hand. Every detail matters more the higher up in price you go. Equipment, personalization, facades, design, branding, website, reviews, photos, response time to calls and emails, flexibility, clothes, even the car you show up to meetings in, your support team, reputation amongst venues, CUSTOMER SERVICE, the list literally can go on and on. To get noticed, you need to properly invest time, effort, and yes... money, in all the things mentioned so that you can differentiate yourself. Again... this isn't to charge more for something or a justification of raising prices... but rather what one can do to get noticed so that people call you when it's time for them to book their dj. Once you get noticed, build demand, and maintain that level of demand, the price increases can start coming into the equation. I never raised my price because I got a new facade, or switched from scanners to moving heads. What happened in the long run was after getting noticed, getting demand, and beginning the increasing of my prices, I then started adding more offerings to raise the event total. Things like more moving heads, uplights, tv's, photo booth, monogram, co2 gun and cannons, dancing on the clouds, etc.

Fyi the only reason I mentioned the $700 facade was bc it was a tufted design, which many have asked me about. It isn't the same... but it's somehwat similiar. They have other facades for much less.

Taso thanks for your last post!!!!!!!!!! I almost put a like to your post Itigger until you talked about Taso raising his prices. I've seen this too many times people just saying raise your rates without explains how to do it.

It's easy to tell someone they should charge more. Yet as Taso explained it its not just that simple. My thing with Taso and mean this as a compliment. He might be at the point that if he went up on his prices it may cost him business because some people might see as now being too much and not want to pay him more.

My partner told me of a guy looking for a DJ saying money is not a problem. That's until he told him the price. Then he wanted a lower price. Point being no matter how much money a person has everybody has a limit as to what they will pay for something. I don't care if it's a billionaire.