Your primary media player

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Scott Hanna

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 25, 2006
Cleveland, OH
www.djincleveland.com
Is anyone using anything else besides a laptop these days as their primary player?

I've tried rack mounted computers, stand alone mp3 controllers like the Denon hd2500, tablets. But I seem to find myself always going back to the trusty laptop.
(Btw, if you are using a controller to run your laptop, I still consider that using a laptop. )

I do have an iPad ready as a hot backup. I'm also planning on doing a few small parties this year with the iPad as my primary player, so if I ever needed to do a whole event with the iPad, I'd feel more comfortable.

My laptops are all touch screen these days, but I hardly use that feature while doing with a laptop.

Laptop still .. iPad as backup. Most media players are too difficult to search and find songs .. OK in a pinch, but not optimal. Not sure I see a change from the laptop except for auto-pilot playlists.

Reactions: Scott Hanna
Laptop still .. iPad as backup. Most media players are too difficult to search and find songs .. OK in a pinch, but not optimal. Not sure I see a change from the laptop except for auto-pilot playlists.

Yeah, I love glancing at different genres, which I keep sorted by the number of plays. Also love the ease of dragging a song to change the order in the playlist

Yeah, I love glancing at different genres, which I keep sorted by the number of plays. Also love the ease of dragging a song to change the order in the playlist
I can do the reordering of a playlist on an iPad .. just tough to do ad hoc queries. If it's in another playlist .. OK, but real estate is limited. I had a Denon HD2500 .. couldn't get used to it .. I think I sold it to Mikey. I had a similar Cortex unit years ago .. didn't like that either. I have a few devices that will play off a USB stick, but finding songs there is even worse.

Maybe a larger tablet will supplant the laptop at some point.

Laptop with a Galaxy Tab as the backup. I have started to use the tablet for the ceremony if it is in another location.

Rack mounted computer running Windows 7 Pro here, but the difference between using a rack mounted PC verses a laptop is pretty insignificant if neither has touch capability. The specs of my custom-built rack mounted PC are very close to those of a mid-level laptop. I will say that It has been challenging to make my rack-mounted PC as quiet as a good laptop. However, I like my 22" monitors and having the flexibility to add larger monitors if I chose. Also, I really dislike laptop keyboards and mouse pads, so I would be using an external keyboard and mouse anyway, which is why rack mounting made sense for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can do the reordering of a playlist on an iPad .. just tough to do ad hoc queries. If it's in another playlist .. OK, but real estate is limited. I had a Denon HD2500 .. couldn't get used to it .. I think I sold it to Mikey. I had a similar Cortex unit years ago .. didn't like that either. I have a few devices that will play off a USB stick, but finding songs there is even worse.

Maybe a larger tablet will supplant the laptop at some point.
I think you got the hd2500 from me:)

Reactions: steve149
Laptops for me also. I do have an Ipad that I quite often carry but except for one ceremony I've only used it for a sound check

I mainly use a laptop but I have a trusty cortex hdc 1000 as a back up used in my main rig for several years
How did you like the cortex?

I know they discontinued the Cortex brand a few years ago.

I know they discontinued the Cortex brand a few years ago.

There was a time when lots of people, me included, thought these toe of things were the future of djing

Imagine that. Me being wrong. First time for everything:)

There was a time when lots of people, me included, thought these toe of things were the future of djing
That's why I bought one .. then bought your Denon .. I thought it was too .. I almost sunk the $$s into the Pioneer MEP system (since Canute was so fond of his) ... maybe they'll get it right in the future .. put 2 iPad Minis in a frame with some controls ...

For most mobile DJs that carry large libraries to be ready for requests and whatnot, a laptop is the most practical solution. If you were a house DJ, or club DJ that might prepare a set of 100-200 songs and work between them, it would be easy to work off just a thumb drive using Rekordbox. But, to really search a library like that is very frustrating.