What would you like to have and can't afford right now?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
gto's ive been watching them for 3 -4 years 10,000 would be a wrecked one, low side is 18 to ive seen as high as 32

A life. And by that I mean being able to come and go as I please. To not worry about the next bill coming in. I'd like to be able to buy that next piece of gear without thinking about the cost. I would like to take my wife away on a romantic long weekend without worrying that rent has to be paid. A life of stress free, worry free moments. Sadly life has become to dependent on how much money you make.

Mix understand what you want and what you need are 2 different things. I would love a long wall of sr4738 jbls with qsc amps to match, my bucket list also has a 2006 Pontiac gto BUT as one gets older you have to plan for the future. Unless I hit the lottery which that wont happen I spend wisely not foolishly.
Don't say you won't hit the lottery. You never know. If you don't play then you have no chance of hitting it. I was just talking about what I would like to have. Not saying I would do it. I would if I had the money and it wasn't a strain to get those things mentioned. Right now I'm looking to sell my pair of Yamaha DSR 118 subs as I haven't used them in I guess 2 years or so.

Don't say you won't hit the lottery. You never know. If you don't play then you have no chance of hitting it. I was just talking about what I would like to have. Not saying I would do it. I would if I had the money and it wasn't a strain to get those things mentioned. Right now I'm looking to sell my pair of Yamaha DSR 118 subs as I haven't used them in I guess 2 years or so.
I would go for the trifecta and sell the Yamahas, the Yorkvilles AND the Earthquakes .. pick up a nice light pair of powered 15" subs (a few under 80 pounds .. even some under 55 pounds) and either use the DSR tops or get a pair of lighter 12" tops. Your gigs simply do not need the firepower you have and it will allow you to handle most yourself.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
A life. And by that I mean being able to come and go as I please. To not worry about the next bill coming in. I'd like to be able to buy that next piece of gear without thinking about the cost. I would like to take my wife away on a romantic long weekend without worrying that rent has to be paid. A life of stress free, worry free moments. Sadly life has become to dependent on how much money you make.
The problem is the world has become greedy. What gets us in trouble is our wants and not our needs. We think we need certain things and we tell ourselves we got to have it.

I remember when nobody hardly could care less about a cell phone. You hardly can find a pay phone any more. When I see one I wonder if it works. Before Microwaves what did people do? I remember a time when there was no 24 hour 7 days a week TV. Some here will remember when at a certain time TV went off. When you heard that certain music you knew TV was getting ready to go off and it wouldn't be back on till around 6am. So from 4-6 hours there was no TV to watch unless you wanted to deal with that image on the screen and that annoying beeping sound.

Right now I'm making this post from my smartphone. 20 years ago or so that was unheard of being able to use your cellphone to get online.

Reactions: Chuck The DJ

Dollar Bill control your life.jpg

Yeah...The world revolves around money. It is what it is. Continue to exchange your time for money so you can continue to live on planet Earth. ...Blame the Lydian civilization for starting it in Lydia, the neo-Hittite civilization that arose in the 12th century B.C.

Or you could blame Alexander the Great for having his head and other political leaders heads put on coins during his time in power which were used as money in the Greek Empire.

Ever since way back then, we have all been classified by how much Money we earn. The more money we have, the more property we own, and the more things we own, and the more time we eventually have to ourselves which leads to a better life style.

The problem is the world has become greedy. What gets us in trouble is our wants and not our needs. We think we need certain things and we tell ourselves we got to have it.

I remember when nobody hardly could care less about a cell phone. You hardly can find a pay phone any more. When I see one I wonder if it works. Before Microwaves what did people do? I remember a time when there was no 24 hour 7 days a week TV. Some here will remember when at a certain time TV went off. When you heard that certain music you knew TV was getting ready to go off and it wouldn't be back on till around 6am. So from 4-6 hours there was no TV to watch unless you wanted to deal with that image on the screen and that annoying beeping sound.

Right now I'm making this post from my smartphone. 20 years ago or so that was unheard of being able to use your cellphone to get online.

I remember having 2 channels when I was a kid (3 if you included the french one) ad they all went off before 1AM. One of them had such bad interference it looked like a constant snowstorm lol. Cable came to town around 81 we thought it was high cotton we could see the puck on the ice on Hockey Night in Canada ;)

View attachment 30645

Ever since way back then, we have all been classified by how much Money we earn. The more money we have, the more property we own, and the more things we own, and the more time we eventually have to ourselves which leads to a better life style.

Maybe at a certain level but your average millionaire doesn't live the life of leisure. I know several that work long hours. One guy in particular is that set in his ways if I'm looking for him I check his office at 7:40 6 days a week and he's there like clockwork. He's 75 now and still developing properties.

Mind you these guys take vacations a couple of times a year but for the most part they work harder than I do

I remember having 2 channels when I was a kid (3 if you included the french one) ad they all went off before 1AM. One of them had such bad interference it looked like a constant snowstorm lol. Cable came to town around 81 we thought it was high cotton we could see the puck on the ice on Hockey Night in Canada ;)

Maybe at a certain level but your average millionaire doesn't live the life of leisure. I know several that work long hours. One guy in particular is that set in his ways if I'm looking for him I check his office at 7:40 6 days a week and he's there like clockwork. He's 75 now and still developing properties.

Mind you these guys take vacations a couple of times a year but for the most part they work harder than I do

True...Many millionaires "LIVE TO WORK" rather than "WORK TO LIVE"

However, my point is that once a person reaches a certain point in how wealthy they are, they have the ability to quit working for good...IF THEY WANT TO.

There is no reason why a 75 year old Multi Millionaire can't cipher running the company to other individuals, and go chill at their mansion or take extended vacations, or eat at Ruth Chris or Mortons for lunch and dinner every day if they want to.

Look at Donald Trump. He is 69 years old, and worth 4.1 billion (10 billion by some estimates...Only 2 billion by Far Left Liberals lol). Yet here he is trying to be President of the United States, and still runs his companies (Most of the decision making is now in his sons, and other high ranking individual hands on the day to day operations though)

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I'd like a newer vehicle, a nicer house, money for vacations etc. Once that happens, I'll want more!

Possessions aren't important to everyone. It just seems that way in the west because it's a big part of our culture. Zen Buddhists believe that possessions take away from happiness, rather than adding to it. Buyers remorse is common these days. Material possessions break or get stolen eventually.

But if there are things you want and can't afford, wouldn't it be smarter to invest in something that will help to earn more money? Squandering money on wanted whims isn't how folks become wealthy.

"I wish I had a fast boat and a Z-28, but I guess that stuff will have to wait" John Anderson

However, my point is that once a person reaches a certain point in how wealthy they are, they have the ability to quit working for good...IF THEY WANT TO.

There is no reason why a 75 year old Multi Millionaire can't cipher running the company to other individuals, and go chill at their mansion or take extended vacations, or eat at Ruth Chris or Mortons for lunch and dinner every day if they want to.

Look at Donald Trump. He is 69 years old, and worth 4.1 billion (10 billion by some estimates...Only 2 billion by Far Left Liberals lol). Yet here he is trying to be President of the United States, and still runs his companies (Most of the decision making is now in his sons, and other high ranking individual hands on the day to day operations though)
The problem with those individuals turning things over to someone else is finding the right person or persons to run things and not steal all that they have worked hard for and leaving them bankrupt having to start over again.

I would go for the trifecta and sell the Yamahas, the Yorkvilles AND the Earthquakes .. pick up a nice light pair of powered 15" subs (a few under 80 pounds .. even some under 55 pounds) and either use the DSR tops or get a pair of lighter 12" tops. Your gigs simply do not need the firepower you have and it will allow you to handle most yourself.
Steve I could use all the stuff I mentioned on my list if I had the money to buy those things. The problem is that I have people that would want that but their budget is too low to justify doing an event for them with all that gear. For example someone wanted something done requiring a big setup like that but only wanted to spend $300 tops. There is no way in hell I would do a gig with all that stuff for $300. When I found out what they needed and what they wanted to pay, I said have a nice day and click! The clicking sound was from me hanging up the phone.

Some people are money driven - these are the folks that retire at 65 to florida.
Some like what they do - like trump and the rolling stones and many others. Money isn't the reason the do it. Bea Arthur (maude, golden girls, actress) was like 80 and doing a broadway show and asked "when are you going to retire?" and she said "you retire from work. I love to act, it's not work"

Chicken or egg... IF you had the best gear and lights would you, could you, charge more? get more gigs?
Can you prove that?

If you had $600 mic and $50 speaker cables, vs $200 and $10, would it improve your bottom line? get you more referrals? Can you prove that?

If not, then does having lower end, but reliable gear, properly used, cost you business? Cause you charge less? How do you know that?

You need reliable..you need to know how to get the most out of what you have (setup, adjustments, etc).

the rest is YOU. Mic presence, personality, how to read the floor, sales and marketing skills..and some luck of course!

Steve I could use all the stuff I mentioned on my list if I had the money to buy those things. The problem is that I have people that would want that but their budget is too low to justify doing an event for them with all that gear. For example someone wanted something done requiring a big setup like that but only wanted to spend $300 tops. There is no way in hell I would do a gig with all that stuff for $300. When I found out what they needed and what they wanted to pay, I said have a nice day and click! The clicking sound was from me hanging up the phone.

Chicken or egg... IF you had the best gear and lights would you, could you, charge more? get more gigs?
Can you prove that?

If you had $600 mic and $50 speaker cables, vs $200 and $10, would it improve your bottom line? get you more referrals? Can you prove that?

If not, then does having lower end, but reliable gear, properly used, cost you business? Cause you charge less? How do you know that?

You need reliable..you need to know how to get the most out of what you have (setup, adjustments, etc).

the rest is YOU. Mic presence, personality, how to read the floor, sales and marketing skills..and some luck of course!

Generally speaking for 95% of DJs out there, $2,000 per event is going to pretty much be the max. And that's a high price point to effectively pitch, and book all events at.

The ones that claim higher price points are either:

A. Selling multiple services to surpass the 2K mark such as Up Lighting, Photo Booth, Drapery, Wedding planning, officiating, Setting up a hot dog stand, bartending etc. :)
B. They live in a very high cost area and are only truly able to fetch above $2,000 due to the market conditions. ...Look At Hawaii for example. Many DJs there charge $2,500 - $3,000 to do a wedding, BUT there are only so many DJs on the islands there, and it's very expensive to live there. These guys usually only pull 20 or less weddings a year at those rates too.
C. They are people like Peter Merry etc. who do book at say $3,000...BUT they are only booking like 5 to 10 weddings a year...And that's because the pool of clients willing to pay that high price is very small. Just the way it is.

Figuring those parameters. Let's say You as a DJ reaches the $2,000 per wedding mark on the routine. Let's say market conditions are awesome, and you are able to actually book 50 gigs a year at that price. That is $100,000 a year in revenue. Honestly, that is about as good as it gets in Mobile DJ land, and honestly that amount of revenue is pretty nearly impossible to actually make happen for a single op. Possible yes, but very, very unlikely.

More likely of a number is trying to obtain $70,000 a year. And actually keeping that type of revenue coming through to you is another very hard task as well.

Basically, is it even worth it to purchase the highest quality equipment for your business if you know you will only MAYBE yield $70,000 a year as a Mobile DJ?

It's nearly impossible to make 'big money' (6 figure) as a one-man-band, so to speak. What you have to sell is your time..and that's a limitied comodoity.
Add in seasonal and weekday preferences and the available time you can work and get paid is limited indeed.

the only way anyone get's 'rich' is to have other people (or money/investments) work for them. So you get $2000 and work 30 gigs, but if you had a $1000 offering that a sub worked and you booked them 40 gigs and you made only $250 per gig you'd add $10k to your income, for a few phone calls or meetings, time wise.

But you've added management and more sales/marketing to your tasks - so now your more a marketing company than an entertainer.

My wife has this issue - she wants to do counseling/psychotherapy, but as a job the pay is limited, as a self employed person the hours limit how much you can make. Insurance pays per session, which is an hour, and that's that, no matter how good you may be. So she went into management, teaching, etc - more money but she's not doing what she wants to do.

If you do what you like it's not work, why retire?
If you work all the time and have no time to have a life, then retirement is appealing as that's when you'll pursue your dreams and hobbies.

the challenge is when you're dream is a bugatti chiron...LOL.