Weddings Brick house - songs like that .. help

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I would go back to said groom and ask for clarification because 'song like this' leave out a whole bunch of good stuff. You might as well exclude anything considered R&B / Funk. Ask for clarification and try to get specifics.

My pet peeve is 'we don't want any hip hop'. Then I start saying so no Nelly or Usher. Oh no, we LOVE them. We need those songs. Have to tell me what you don't want explicitly and know that by excluding a genre, you possibly leave out some great songs.

I would just keep away from disco and 90's rap. Yea its a pain when they are not that specific. He will probably be dancing to ymca once he is drunk.

By dodging the issue, you may end up with a bigger problem. Especially at a Wedding. You know th potential for an issue is there - don't make assumptions, get answers.

Read the lyrics for Brick House... ;)

Here's a sample:

The clothes she wears, her sexy ways,
Makes her, ole man wish, for younger days yeah yeah
She knows she's built, and knows how to please.
Sho' nuff can knock a strong man to his knees.

So y'er angle is songs that contain lyrics like this?

Exactly.

My first guess, would be one of two scenarios (since I've never met anyone who doesn't like the actual music to the song). It's a great tune, but the lyrics are derogatory to many women.

a) Him and future bride had a falling out at one time, and she saw him in a club dancing to the song with some hot chick, and she's not all that hot.

b) The future bride is a former dancer, or just built like a brick sh_t house, and is tired of hearing about it.

She is probably behind it, which is why you won't get any info from him... ;)

Exactly.

My first guess, would be one of two scenarios (since I've never met anyone who doesn't like the actual music to the song). It's a great tune, but the lyrics are derogatory to many women.

Possibly agree.

a) Him and future bride had a falling out at one time, and she saw him in a club dancing to the song with some hot chick, and she's not all that hot.

b) The future bride is a former dancer, or just built like a brick sh_t house, and is tired of hearing about it.

In the case of a), why would that have an impact on similar songs - regarding lyrics or even the songs themselves? Same for b)?

She is probably behind it, which is why you won't get any info from him... ;)

Totally agree.

Since when has the groom been in charge of anything... ;)

I've never met a guy that doesn't like that song -- it's a guy song.

I don't disagree - but if he says no, it really means no.

In the case of a), why would that have an impact on similar songs - regarding lyrics or even the songs themselves? Same for b)?

Read the lyrics I posted above again (especially line two)...

The clothes she wears, her sexy ways,
Makes her, ole man wish, for younger days yeah yeah
She knows she's built, and knows how to please.
Sho' nuff can knock a strong man to his knees.

She doesn't want him to remember those old days, with that hot chick... ;)

Rick, I'm not disagreeing with you about 'brickhouse'. I'm questioning the 'other songs like it' part.

I'm gonna disagree with several posters. I would NOT go back and ask this guy for clarification on what he did or did not mean. I'd simply put "Brick House" on my "hard do not play list" and leave it at that. If you prod this guy, he very well may expand this list to include a bunch of material you're going to need to be playing. If it were me, I'd minimize giving this groom more opportunity for musical selection input and just work the gig.

and I think that's the absolute wrong direction - because he calls for 'or any songs like that'. This may guarantee you a pissing contest with the groom on the day of - all because you didn't clarify the meaning of that. If you'd like to ruin your rep on a small item like this, then so be it. I'm not willing to risk mine. Let him expand his 'do not play' list all he wants and when he wonders why no one dances, show him the list. By not asking these questions, you put yourself in a rough spot.

By dodging the issue, you may end up with a bigger problem. Especially at a Wedding. You know th potential for an issue is there - don't make assumptions, get answers.

This was just my answer for his question. These are the things I clear up. And yep most of the time they don't have a clue on what there talking about.